Parallels 3.0 Not Working in Leopard 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rempe00, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Gandalf2

Gandalf2 Bit poster

Error message loading Parallels 3.0

After upgrading two MB (both Intel) I had difficulty bringing up Parallels. When I did I reinstalled Tools which seemed to help. Yet, Parallels is still very sluggish.

Now when I start Parallels I get an error message (see attached file) and I can't access Windows from Leopard.

Attached Files:

2. Gandalf2

Gandalf2 Bit poster

Sorry - the attached file did not show the windows re "Timing Out".

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

We are sorry for the issues coming up with the Leopard installation. We could not prevent some bugs caused by last minute changes in the final "gold master" build of Mac OS X 10.5 released on October, 26. We are working hard to fix these problems.

For Drive C mounting and Timeout error please try to install the latest MacFUSE release: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list
    I'd appreciate you giving me the feedback.

Thank you for your reports. We are analyzing all the data you give.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

Any idea how to recover a Windows XP VM after Parallels crashes taking down Leopard in a hard crash and manages to delete (as in totally vanish) after the crash. Does the same with a backup. Not only is Parallels unusable, but it has managed to corrupt and vanish my Windows VM. Thankfully, I don't use it for mission critical applications. For that I've relied on Fusion, which seems more stable these days.

5. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

Just a quick followup. Also had Ubuntu 7.04 installed as a VM. It also will not run under Parallels. It doesn't bring the system down, but it won't load and behaves somewhat strangely.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are your .hdd files still there? If so, can you go into them with Parallels Explorer? Can you copy them, and then switch the extension out to .dmg and open them?

If you install Leopard V. 10.5.0 on a mission critical application your problems would probably be laughed at... Seeing you are smart and didn't do that, you'll probably get help.

7. tripz1196

tripz1196 Bit poster

Whoever told me "Macs NEVER have software problems" should go suck a donkey *EDITED*. Quite frankly, this is worse than the issues I had with Vista. Current compatibility issues aside though, Parallels and Leopard should be amazing once the bugs get worked out. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work out ALL the problems before you release a patch = ) I'd much rather wait then get a half-done update.

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

mrfearless47, did you have Leopard's Time Machine turned on when you got the issue?

moas, could you specify, when exactly you got the error message? Al the details are important.

Best reagrds,
    Xenos

9. austinso

austinso Bit poster

Uh...should this be unexpected...?

Just a thought...

When Parallels 3.0 installs, it writes a bunch of stuff on OS X to get it working, which is why you have to reboot the machine on Tiger.

If you are updating the OS to Leopard, then odds are these changes are being overwritten...if anyone tried to reinstall Tiger, you'd have to do reinstall parallels 3.0 too...

So what's the surprise here? As long as you have a backup of your VM, then there shouldn't be a problem...

Austin

10. Martin

Martin Member

Solved so far

Problems with Leopard solved (so far) by uninstalling, reinstalling Parallels and updating MacFuse. This being written within Parallels with Internet Explorer 7
    Good luck Martin

11. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Xenos could you tell us if the recent beta (5540b) is an improvement wrt Leopard, or is it decorrelated?

12. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

It aims for the improvement, but as it's Beta and the first public one - you shouldn't expect it to be stable or bug free. If you are using Mac OS 10.4.x - I recommend you stick to the 5160 until this new update becomes official release unless you need the "bleeding edge of technology" :)
    But if something is totally broken for you with Leopard and 5160 - it's up to you to check if beta-testing will help you to solve these problems. But please keep in mind that beta-testing may prove to be dangerous for your data, so you shouldn't risk it unless you are really sure what you are doing.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  13. Oriontool

Oriontool Bit poster

If I uninstall Parallels and then reinstall it, will I lose my Windows XP install and programs that I have installed? I am fairly new to Parallels (but I love it so far).

Thanks,

Vern

14. lfedje

lfedje Junior Member

I have installed the latest MacFUSE release, and no problems so far. Drive C mounts properly and normal windows shutdown doesn't hang. Everything appears to work as before.

Loren

15. Martin

Martin Member

No, as usual you have a program and files. In this case Parallels is the program and the windows installation is the file. maybe you have to search for the windows installation file; should be in the (user)/library/parallels folder. Good luck Martin

16. Oriontool

Oriontool Bit poster

That Did It!

I uninstalled Parallels, updated MACfuse, and then reinstalled Parallels. My OS was there and it seems to be running fine.

Now, I am running version 4128, so I am thinking I should not do any updates at this point. Would that be a wise decision???

Thanks,

Vern

17. moas

moas Junior Member

Just after I load Parallels, I would get the error after about 10 seconds. Now (for some unknown reason) the error is not showing up now (I'll reboot to confirm this is actually "gone"). Prior to reboot, it is now just hanging. I noticed the time machine post and turned this off. No effect to the loading. I'll try a reboot, turn off timemachine and see how it goes.

Just did - no luck. Going to try updating Macfuse.

No luck (wasn't expecting it as I can't load virtual host let alone quit one).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I don't know who would be dumb enough to tell you that.

Anyway, have you tried running virtulization on Vista with the first release, upgrading from XP, without taking any precautions like you do on the Mac? I didn't think so.

19. Martin

Martin Member

Stick with it, if it works - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - do nothing until the first official Parallels Desktop (PD) release will be offered by Parallels built for Leopard golden master (GM) the "official, sold" Leopard version 9A581.

If you have problems - see my recommendation above.

Maybe, if problems still persist, take the beta 5160b

Just my recommendation. Remember using PD in this stadium wth the brand new Leopard GM could not be tested by Parallels because they did not get the official Leopard earlier than the rest of us. Avoid using it with critical data.
    Martin

20. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Thank you Xenos for this quick reaction. I indeed am on Leopard now, with some crashes on 5160.
    Do you consider it is safe if I duplicate my complete windows and linux machine folders (disks, snapshots and al), keep a copy of 5160 too, and switch to the beta?
    Is it safe for me to expect being able to 'regress' to 5160 restarting from the copies in case of problem in this context?