Split screen sucks!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PavelT1, May 28, 2020.

1. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

Any idea how to stop annoying unwanted split screen feature? I'm using Parallels Desktop 15 w/ Windows 10 in Full screen mode. When I switch to Mail application by Command-Tab, it quite often goes to Split screen mode with Windows 10 on left and Mail on right half of the screen. I hate it! I understand it is not a bug or problem of Parallels Desktop, but maybe anybody can give me the advice how to configure it or Mail or Mac OS to stop it?

2. Hi,
    please open Finder, on the top Mac menu bar click on Finder -> Preferences -> and untick "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" option.
    And then check the issue.

3. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

Seems to fix it, thank you very much! Looks like Apple took some inspiration from Microsoft, because I used to find similar solutions on Windows. I mean to solve something, you have to click on something completely unrelated...

4. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

No, unfortunately it still happens, even after the advise above :(

5. Hello, is it possible to make a screenshot of the issue?

6. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

Sure. When I'm in Windows 10 (virtualised by Parallels Desktop), full screen mode, I need to switch to Mac Mail app. I'm used to switch between apps by Command+Tab. So I press Command and then Tab once or more times, to choose Mail app icon. And then i got this - see screenshot. On the left side of the screen is Parallels desktop and o the right side Mail App. I wish this is not happening - I just want to switch to Mail app on another screen (or space as Apple calls it).

Attached Files:

7. Thanks for your reply Pavel.
    And when you switch from Mac to Windows with cmd+Tab, do you get the same issue?

8. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

No, never. It happens only with conjunction with Mail app. As I wrote in the initial post, I don't blame Paralles Desktop for it. I'm just looking for advise, if anybody knows how to stop this behavior.

9. Did the reinstallation help?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

I haven't done any reinstallation. Just system updates. It seems I have to get used to this and not switch between apps using Cmd+Tab

11. Did you check this link?

12. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

Yes, but the setting in Mission Control has no influence on it.

13. And what about this thread? Did you try some?

14. PeterB55

PeterB55 Bit poster

I was having this same exact issue--command/tab switching from Windows 10 to Apple Mail makes a split screen with Win on the left and Mail on the right. I followed PavelT1's suggestion to go to macOS/System Preferences/Mission Control and check the box--"When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application"--it was already checked, but I unchecked and checked it again to reset the preference--and that seemed to solve it. I can now switch cleanly to Mail.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  15. Hello, if the issue reoccurs please let us know

16. PeterB55

PeterB55 Bit poster

Unfortunately the fix I tried worked only temporarily. The split window comes back to haunt. This is got to be a bug with Parallels. I'm on macOS 10.14.6. Windows 10 Home, version 20H2, OS Build 19042.746, Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0, Parallels
    Version 15.1.5 (47309)

17. codiant

codiant Member

Split screen is a good option to do multiple task at the same time in mobile.

18. PavelT1

PavelT1 Junior Member

Sure, the feature is good, if you invoke it intentionally. But when it appears all the sudden just after Cmd+Tab..., sucks...