Update to 15.1.14 now windows screen resolution broken

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TonyK3, May 14, 2020.

1. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

I just updated to 15.1.14 and windows now has the 'recommended' screen resolution of 800x600, the maximum is allows me to change to is 1920x1200 even on a 4k monitor which it usually recognised just fine.
    I have reinstalled parallels tools and rebooted, but it's still the same.

Please advise.

2. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

In addition, the windows VM can also no longer access the host Mac user folders.

3. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

Looks like i cannot edit previous posts so i'll correct my info and summarise here
    After the update the following issues have been observed.
    1. Screen resolution is limited significantly
    2. VM is running a lot slower than before the update, almost to the point of being un-usable
    3. VM cannot access Mac folders
    4. Parallels tools refuses to reinstall saying an error occurred during installation

Some entries are seen in the system event log,
    an entry saying the installation of a display device driver completed (and several other devices before that)
    followed by:
    "The application \Device\CdRom0\PtAgent.exewith process id 8148 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\" then a big long ID

In the application event log:
    Parallels tools - failed to install driverprl_sound

I then tried ensuring that no sounds were playing on the host in case this was blocking something, but have the same result.
    Finally, I downloaded and installed parallels V 14.1.3 and all the same problems persist. I cannot reinstall parallels tools still either! Really wishing I'd taken a. backup of the VM before trusting this update!

4. nosodualie

nosodualie Member

Since nobody from Parallels has been considerate enough to replay, I will, since I have the same issue.
    From Parallels Desktop Help:
    "Quickly Change the Screen Resolution
    Note: Set Resolution is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition for virtual machines with Parallels Tools installed. And the Show developer tools option must be enabled in the More Options pane of the virtual machine configuration."

It appears the the ability to change resolution within Parallels Desktop is now only available in the PRO edition. Thanks for LETTING US KNOW THIS BEFORE WE BUY.

5. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

Wow, they actually removed a feature we had in a previous edition with no warning for the 'upgrade'? Well, b*llocks to Parallels then, this was the final nail in the coffin and I'm getting better performance now after migrating my VM to virtual box, and it costs me nothing!

6. nosodualie

nosodualie Member

I have solved this issue with no help whatsoever from Parallels.
    The solution is to copy the Parallels Tools iso from your mac to the virtual machine running Catalina, then install the tools, which for some reason do not get installed automatically by Parallels Desktop 15.
    This isn't even recognized by Parallels as a known problem.

7. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

Actually, i have business edition, so i shouldn't have had this problem in the first place! Anyway... nice to see parallels still don't respond to forums posts! I could raise a support ticket, but last time i did that they were clueless and I solved the problem myself!