Multi-session CD images

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by rowbearto, Oct 28, 2007.

1. rowbearto

rowbearto Bit poster

Hi:

I have a CD that is multi-session, it has a data session followed by several audio tracks.

I would like to use it as a CD image in Parallels (host Mac Tiger) running Windows XP (as guest OS), so that this CD image appears as the CD drive. This has worked successfully for me before with single session CD .iso images.

However, .iso files can't be created for multisession CDs. I believe that the standard forbids it.

Is there a way somehow to create some type of image file from this multi-session CD that Parallels can recognize as the CD?

I know that my Nero software is able to create a .nrg image file of a multi-session CD, however, Parallels is not able to recognize .nrg files.

Any ideas for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

it's possible to make a .iso image for a multisession disc. To make an ISO image of the CD-ROM using Disk Utility, do the following:

1. In the Finder, browse to Macintosh HD - Applications - Utilities. Choose Disk Utility.
    2. Insert the source CD-ROM, the image of which you want to create, into the CD/DVD-ROM drive of Macintosh computer.
    3. Select the CD/DVD-ROM drive from the Disk Utility device list.
    4. Click the New Image button on the top of the Disk Utility window.
    5. Specify the name and location for the image or leave the default settings.
    6. Set Image Format to read-only.
    7. Click Save and wait till the image creation process is complete.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. rowbearto

rowbearto Bit poster

Disk Utility issues

Disk Utility doesn't seem to give me the options that you indicate for the entire CD. It just gives those options if I select an individual session.

I attached a file, picture1.png, which shows my Disk Utility Window.

As you can see, the CD shows up as "716.7 MB HL-DT-ST DV...".

Underneath it, there are 2 sessions, called "Passion for His Presence" or "Session 1".

If I highlight the entire CD, as shown in picture1.png, and press "New Image", I get what you see in picture2.png.

As you can see from "Picture 2.png", I don't get a choice of making a "read only" image, I only get a choice of a "read/write image" or a "sparse disk image".

Only when I click on either of the "Session 1" areas underneath the CD do I get the expected choices, as shown in "picture 3.png". This is the problem however, I don't want to image just 1 session, I want a multi-session image with both sessions.

So when creating the multi-session .dmg, should I choose the "read/write disk image" or "sparse image", or will neither one of these work?

Attached Files:

4. rowbearto

rowbearto Bit poster

dmg for whole CD didn't work

I tried making a read/write image of the entire multi-session CD using Disk Utility (see my last message), since read-only wasn't offered.

I then tried using this image from parallels, and it didn't recognize it as a CD image (when I clicked on the drive in windows explorer, it showed nothing on the CD).