Windows Key from PVM File

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SebastianL3, May 19, 2020.

1. SebastianL3

SebastianL3 Bit poster

Hi Gentlepeople,

can't start my VM (Win10 on MacbookPro) - will install windows again but I will miss the key to activate Windows after new installation. Can I read out the PVM-File (for example with Chrome Browser) and can I find the key somewhere there?
    btw.: VM stops at the Blue Windows Logo on black Background. No "real" Windows start... :-( ... open for alternative support.

THANKS
    Sebastian

2. SebastianL3

SebastianL3 Bit poster

Edit: Can't start the VM after starting using a new Macbook - configured by Timemachine Backup incl. Parallels. I guess the new Hardware is the Problem...(?)

3. Hello Sebastian, are you getting an issue with Windows OS reactivation? Am I right?

4. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

Sebastian, what is your Mac's configuration? Model, RAM, OS version

5. SebastianL3

SebastianL3 Bit poster

Hi all. Sorry to say - but after several problems with Parallels I'd tried VirtualBox. With this tool I was able to restart the old PVM also. Parallels seems to have Problems with my new Macbook. It's the new 13" one with Core i5, 16GB. Just setup a new VM was not possible with Parallels - always stoped at the windows start-screen (with blue MS flag).

6. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

Sebastian, have you tried setting up a Linux VM? Will one of those boot into a sign-in screen? I would check to see if you can create any VM, not just a windows one. Also, are you on the latest version of Parallels?

7. SebastianL3

SebastianL3 Bit poster

No, I´d just create a Win Machine... I use the latest Parallels, yes. To try a Linux VM doesn't make sense for me - just to know that it will work will not solve my problems with a Windows Machine ... ;-). And otherwise, with VirtualBox it works fine... not so fancy and smooth, but it works. Maybe the Macbook is brand new - I was wondering if some other cases will come up?

8. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

Sebastian, I understand completely. I only suggested a Linux install just to troubleshoot that the problem is/was limited to your Windows VM. I don't think it would be specific to your new computer. I would also be interested to see if there are other cases as well.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can try using Actions > Reset then check if the VM is working.