Two versions of Windows after activating - can I remove one?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MargaretM1, Jun 5, 2020.

1. MargaretM1

MargaretM1 Junior Member

Hi,
    I don't know Parallels but I have decided to buy it. Used VMware Fusion on old computer.
    I have succeeded in installing a Windows 10 Pro product key but as far as I can tell I have on my Mac:
    Windows 10 (not activated, part of trial)
    Windows 10 (1) activated, bought by me.

Can I simply delete Windows 10? I really don't yet understand Parallels. I want to install MS Office but I dare not do anything till I know the system is OK. As far as I can tell, in the Windows 10 Parallels believes I am a trial user, and in Windows 10 (1) it knows I am registered.

I would like the system to be called Windows 10 without the '(1)' too!

Many thanks for help.

2. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@MargaretM1 Please refer the article to remove the virtual machine. Also refer the article to change the name of your virtual machine.

3. MargaretM1

MargaretM1 Junior Member

Thank you. I have two support tickets open for this issue. One gives me the same advice as you (with the other, I've arranged to be called in a couple of hours' time).
    So when I follow your article, it says 'right click on the virtual machine', but for some reason, right-click is no longer working for me. It opens Windows 10, which is not what I want to do. I looked in Safari preferences but can't find out how to restore right-click. I wish I could, it has been driving me mad!

4. MargaretM1

MargaretM1 Junior Member

Sorry, it has worked now! I found 'remove' in the menus.
    Thank you very much!
    However, I can't yet change the name because I can't find 'Virtual machine configuration'. But I will watch some videos and I'm sure I will work it out eventually.

5. MargaretM1

MargaretM1 Junior Member

So I have removed Windows 10 and now Windows 10 (1) doesn't work either. It tells me I can change the settings if I resume the virtual machine and then shut it down. I can't see how to do that, but instead I Quit Windows. the windows log has gone and it's replaced by a picture of Catalina with a moon on it. So I will wait for my phone call from support.

6. MargaretM1

MargaretM1 Junior Member

Me yet again. It does seem to be working, I renamed it, it says it's Windows 10 Pro and it is activated. The only thing I find odd is that in the little window where I click to start it, it has animate of Catalina rather than Windows.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You will be unable to find the Remove option if the virtual machine is not shutdown. We can see that you have removed one virtual machine and renamed another. We also understand that you have a Mac background it might be due to the coherence view mode you are in. You can right click on the Windows logo from Mac Dock then select View > Exit Coherence to get windowed view.

8. MargaretM1

MargaretM1 Junior Member

Thank you - yes, I have got it right now I think.
    I was aware from the beginning that Coherence was a problem. I may well want to work in it, but it's a shock after Fusion. There, I knew when I was closing or suspending a VM, but here, it looks as if the menus change, without showing a greyed-out indication of what I'm looking for. So then I think I'm looking in the wrong place.
    I had the impression things were wrong because the Windows logo no longer appeared in Control Centenaries. Control Center is hard to understand at first - I needed 'Actions'. Then I tried full screen but had to Google to find out how to exit it.
    I tried to watch some videos but they were too elementary. I have not yet got onto Using Parallels, but that should be better.

I have not cancelled the phone call from Support, but I suppose there is no way to do that. I will be here anyway.
    Many thanks again.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can clarify the questions regarding the view modes on the call. There a multiple ways to enter and exit each view modes you can know them over the call.