Password-control VM internet access?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BenfromBrook, Jun 9, 2020.

1. BenfromBrook

BenfromBrook Junior Member

I'm on OS X, running Windows 10 in a VM. I noticed that the various kinds of productivity filtering blocks (Freedom, SelfControl) have no effect on the VM. Is there a way to lock down VM access (i.e. make it password-protected)? There's no point in me blocking Facebook and such during work hours on OSX if I have unrestricted access on the VM I'm working in. So I need an irreversible way to either shut down VM access that is password-protected, or irreversibly tie VM internet access to OSX internet access, so if OSX is blocking Facebook from 9-6, Parallels is blocking Facebook from 9-6.

2. Hello, would you like to use a password for login into your Windows VM? Or you would like to use some kind on Mac side block?

3. BenfromBrook

It's not to log-in, but to prevent internet access in the VM while it's being used. I'd be happy to use some kind of block on the Mac side, but it has to be password controlled.

4. You can use a Host only network inside your VM. (VM configurations -> Hardware -> Network).
    Will it work for you?
    If not, please share detailed step-by-step instruction how would you like to use some kind of block?

5. BenfromBrook

It doesn't matter to me how it's done, whether inside the VM or on my host Mac. It just needs to be password-protected, not just a software toggle.

6. Unfortunately we haven't option like this on the Parallels Desktop side.
    You can describe your feature request there and Parallels Engineering Team will check it.
    Thank you for understanding.