macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Staff Member

Hello everyone! This thread is dedicated to your feedbacks and questions about macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop, feel free to share them. Since the beta version of macOS Big Sur has just been released, the compatibility of Parallels Desktop and macOS Big Sur hasn't been fully tested yet by the Parallels Engineering Team. On the other hand, your feedbacks will help us to test and cover as many scenarios as possible. If your feedback includes technical data along with a short description of the situation you encountered, it will make further troubleshooting and resolution more efficient.
    For your convenience we created KB article about the known issues with macOS 11 Big Sur and Parallels Desktop for Mac. Check the KB for more information and subscribe to get timely updates on the available workarounds and fixes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2020
    Tarvinb, LeeR6, WilliamR14 and 4 others like this.
  2. Best Answer
    Guys, also please check and subscribe on this KB article for more information about the known issues with macOS 11 Big Sur and Parallels Desktop for Mac

3. bergy

bergy Bit poster

What's Parallels' stance on the future of virtualization on Mac after Apple switches to their own ARM chipsets? In the keynote today they showed Parallels running a Linux VM. Do you have any details on which flavor of Linux this was and its architecture? Most importantly, will Parallels still be able to virtualize x86 versions of Windows 10 on the new architecture?

LukasM2 and Nosix like this.
  4. MaksimR

MaksimR Bit poster

Is parallels on Apple silicon able to run x86 code or is it ARM only?

Nosix likes this.
  5. JeffreyA3

JeffreyA3 Bit poster

The big question on my mind (and it has been on my mind since long before today's announcement) is whether or not Windows virtualization will be possible with the Apple ARM processors, and at what kind of performance cost? I rely on this support professionally. I realize that the majority of Mac users can get by without Windows virtualization at decent levels of performance, but I am sadly not one of them (I develop Windows-based software for a living, and use my Mac VMs as development and test environments).

Apple's demo today said there would be virtualization, and used Parallels to demonstrate Linux. But it was hard to miss the fact that they specifically did not mention Windows. I don't expect answers today, but I am hoping someone can give me an indication of when those answers will be forthcoming.

WilliamR14, EdT1 and Nosix like this.
  6. toonetown

toonetown Member

AllanS1 and gleb_dolgich like this.
  7. HarveyH1

HarveyH1

First issue.... parallels desktop 16 build 48516
    I tried to report this through the beta reporting mechanism, but it appears to be dead and hangs.
    Attempting to install Big Sur beta released today on top of fresh Catalina 15.5.5 with parallels tools installed. Installation fails at the point of selecting the target hard drive... Any thoughts ?

Attached Files:

MarkusB1, LV_ and gleb_dolgich like this.
  8. SteveL8

SteveL8 Bit poster

I am unable to upgrade from 10.15.6 Beta (10G46c), I am receiving the following error:
    The operation couldn't be completed. (BIErrorDomain error 3.)
    I have tried installing on the same HD as the Catalina Beta and also tried adding a new HD but the same issue...
    I'm using Parallels Desktop 15 Pro Edition
    Version 15.1.4 (47270)

MarkusB1, LV_ and gleb_dolgich like this.
  9. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

I'm the original poster, btw. Hopefully Parallels can provide some guidance here (or a beta)...thanks for any useful help here...would prefer not to install on actual hardware, at this early stage.

MarkusB1 likes this.
  10. Hello, thank you for the provided information. Could you collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced please?
    Please also post your report's ID here.
    Looking forward to your reply.

11. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

I just ran that and sent the report in....ID # 343152014.

12. Thank you for your reply and the provided information. We will escalate it for the further investigation.
    Thank you once again.

13. BrianC29

BrianC29 Bit poster

I installed the Big Sur beta on a 2018 Mac Mini (host OS) and found that the "t" and "y" keys don't work in any Parallels VMs. I noticed that right away on a Windows 10 VM and also found that the keys didn't work on a Linux live boot CD. Creating a custom entry send-key for "t" and "y" does work - had to do that to enter a password :)

Other than that obviously important issue, I was pleasantly surprised that everything else seems to generally work under Big Sur.

I know this is completely unsupported by everyone involved, but any guesses on a workaround? I didn't see many options to try fiddling with in terms of keyboard settings.

RodrigoG5, JeffreyP4, PabloZ and 4 others like this.
  14. BrianP12

BrianP12 Bit poster

Try as I might tonight, it seems the hard drive format just won't work. I installed Parallels inside a Big Sur install on an external drive and tried some things, but couldn't ever get anything to install, not from a time machine backup of Big Sur or a usb stick installer. I was actually hoping I could boot the VM from a real hard drive, but I only have one Big Sur install at the moment and that drive won't mount in Cataline, so something has changed with the drive format for sure. Tomorrow I may put Big Sur on a second usb drive and try to boot from one, run Parallels and then boot from the other in parallels just to see if it might actually run. I still don't think I'll be able to make any sort of bootable VM file from it though.

15. sas199

sas199 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Both Upgrade from Catalina and Fresh Install (from USB thumb drive) didn't work.

Technical report ID 343173513

MarkusB1 likes this.
  16. Yifan1

Yifan1 Bit poster

I got the Big Sur running with an external bootable drive. The screen defaults to low res and it is slow. I tried to install the parallels tools, and it showed as successful installation, but when I restart the VM, it is still inferred as not installed. My report ID is 343177820

MichaelM92 likes this.
  17. Yifan1

Yifan1 Bit poster

Here is a screenshot

Attached Files:

18. Garrick1

Garrick1 Bit poster

After upgrade, my Windows 10 VM can not start, Parallels keeps telling me "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac.". Then Parallels became No Responding after click any button. After restart mac, nothing changed.

ShikharB and RobertoA7 like this.
  19. TobiasK6

TobiasK6 Bit poster

The same happened to me but I found a solution:
    1. restart your Mac
    2. hold CMD + R while booting
    3. wait; then login with your macOS credentials
    4. in the menu bar go to utilities > terminal
    5. enter the following "spctl kext-consent add 4C6364ACXT" and press the return key
    6. go to the Apple menu in the menu bar and click restart
    Unfortunately Windows 10 crashes after successful login (report ID: 343180411)

DavidR50 likes this.
  20. RichyC

RichyC Bit poster

Ive also found 1 and 2 keys not working. Shift and the key does (same on the t and y).
    Very odd bug!

BobF2, JeffreyP4, PabloZ and 4 others like this.
  21. Alto

Alto Bit poster

MarkusB1 and LV_ like this.