macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Garrick1

Garrick1 Bit poster

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately the solution not work on me. And I have checked the Team Identifiers is in the list.

spctl kext-consent list

Allowed Team Identifiers:
    4C6364ACXT
    P8DQRXPVLP

2. CraigL4

CraigL4 Bit poster

I could only install Parallels 15 on Big Sur after removing a previous installation of VirtualBox. (It had kernel extensions that messed up the dependencies of Parallel's kernel extensions.) Even after getting Parallels running, its kernel extensions are still shadowed in /Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app, even though they successfully load. Parallels doesn't quit gracefully; I have to force-quit it.

I too noticed the bizarre bug of the "t", "y", and "2" keys not registering unless I create modifier-key-less shortcuts for them in the Parallels preferences. That's almost a usable workaround... in another bizarre twist, there's a short delay after typing shortcuts, during which no other key registers. E.g., if you type "tu" in rapid succession, you just get "t", but if you wait a little bit in between you get both characters. I hope this weird bug is easy to squash, because it's extremely annoying. :)

PabloZ and NanangF like this.
  3. Hello,
    could you please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

4. toonetown

toonetown Member

JoseM40 and Alto like this.
  5. DanF10

DanF10 Bit poster

I was able to get past the "BIErrorDomain error 3" issue in Parallels as follows:
    1. On a real, supported Mac, run this command in Terminal:
      ioreg -l | grep board-id
    2. Make a note of the board ID (mine is Mac-551B86E5744E2388, for example)
    3. Run this command in Terminal:
      sysctl hw.model
    4. Make a note of the hardware model (mine is MacBookPro14,3)
    5. In the VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags, enter the following (inserting the information noted above where shown):
      devices.mac_hw_model="<model>"
      devices.smbios.board_id="<board ID>"
    That should be enough to allow the installation to proceed.

6. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Mine setup is all APFS and I have the same issue. So, it's not related to that. My guess is that Apple changed some things in the OS and parallels hasn't accounted for it yet (I'm sure they just got the beta, like everyone else).

7. toonetown

toonetown Member

Just to report back - I followed those instructions and got the same error. :(

8. KyleE2

KyleE2 Bit poster

I found this here and fixed my issue.
    https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649774

I was able to get past the "BIErrorDomain error 3" issue in Parallels as follows:

1. On a real, supported Mac, run this command in Terminal:
    Code Block
    ioreg -l | grep board-id

2. Make a note of the board ID (mine is Mac-551B86E5744E2388, for example)
    3. Run this command in Terminal:
    Code Block
    sysctl hw.model

4. Make a note of the hardware model (mine is MacBookPro14,3)
    5. In the VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags, enter the following (inserting the information noted above where shown):
    Code Block
    devices.mac_hw_model="<model>"
    devices.smbios.board_id="<board ID>"

That should be enough to allow the installer to proceed.

Wynter, sas199, LV_ and 4 others like this.
  9. EAKKAPONGJ

EAKKAPONGJ Bit poster

Just upgrade to Big Sur and I couldn't use Parallel 15.
    It's showed --> To complete Parallel Desktop setup, please. restart your Mac.
    and WhenI restart, this box comes up again.

Attached Files:

10. HansG3

HansG3 Bit poster

Thanks mate,

this seems to do the trick...
    upload_2020-6-23_18-45-16.png

11. Alto

Alto Bit poster

Thanks. I actually saw those before coming here. As you say, a bit too cryptic, but the posts above spell it out.

I haven't tried to see if they work yet. I found it easier to get it up and running on VM Fusion, which only required the board-id edit.

However, I also noted that the installer wouldn't let me choose the root drive to install on Fusion either unless I increased the disk size to 128GB. So that could also be something to watch out for with the instructions above for Parallels, too.

12. dwilliamhouston

dwilliamhouston Bit poster

How did you create a custom entry to send-key for "t" and "y". I have Y and y in my password and cant login. When I type y and t in username field if trying to reset password they both work so what makes you believe that they are not working? Not doubting your comment, just trying to figure out if my issue is same as I cannot login. When I type my password it goes back to login screen and if I try and reset my password by using my AppleID it doesnt allow my to change it. Both computer password and AppleID password have "y" in them.

RAnthony and YouongsooLim like this.
  13. DanF10

DanF10 Bit poster

I've found that installing Parallels Tools results in the Big Sur VM hanging at boot, so you might want to avoid doing that (or at least create a snapshot before trying it).

sas199 and Martijnv4 like this.
  14. LukeB5

LukeB5 Bit poster

[QUOTE="Alto, post: 868670, member: 119573However, I also noted that the installer wouldn't let me choose the root drive to install on Fusion either unless I increased the disk size to 128GB. So that could also be something to watch out for with the instructions above for Parallels, too.[/QUOTE]

Can confirm this was the missing piece of the puzzle for me too, under Parallels 15. 64GB dynamic wasn't cutting it!

15. LukeB5

LukeB5 Bit poster

Can confirm this was the missing piece of the puzzle for me too, under Parallels 15. 64GB dynamic wasn't cutting it!

16. BrianC29

BrianC29 Bit poster

The t and y keys don't produce any output at all for me in the parallels VMs. Others keys work no issue, but nothing for those two.

YouongsooLim likes this.
  17. MICHAELN20

MICHAELN20 Bit poster

• Before starting the Big Sur install you need to have the following values set under Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Boot Flags.
    • devices.mac_hw_model="MacBookPro16,1"
    • devices.smbios.board_id="Mac-E1008331FDC96864"

ChrisH29 likes this.
  18. Atef

Atef Bit poster

So, I get to pass the error 3. Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.07.01 PM.png

then stuck right on the login screen, every time I write my password I get little loading then returning back to the login screen.

Fernandod6 likes this.
  19. Atef

Atef Bit poster

Can confirm this was the missing piece of the puzzle for me too, under Parallels 15. 64GB dynamic wasn't cutting it![/QUOTE]

after increasing the size from parallels, run the macOS VM, open disk utility and delete the free storage so it can be used within the 64gb.

20. RogerN2

RogerN2 Bit poster

I installed Big Sur beta on a 2016 13' MacBook Pro. My "t", "y", "1", and "2" lower case characters do not work. If I hold shift and one of those four keys, the capital letter works.