Unable to open VM Configuration File

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mrfearless47, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

When 5160 crashed under Leopard, it crashed really hard. It seems to have corrupted everything in my Win XP install. I've installed 5560, but when I try to open my VM, I get the message "Unable to open VM Configuration File .... windowsxp.pvm!" I haven't been able to find that error or its correction, but I have no way of testing whether the new build runs properly with Windows XP unless I can recover my install. It isn't as if I can't reinstall the OS, but it wouldn't necessarily tell me whether the new build fixes any problems. I'd like to resuscitate the WinXP VM and try the new VM. Incidently, I have a Ubuntu 7.10 install as well. I didn't do anything with it after installing Leopard and before installing 5560, however, I get a similar error message when I try to run it as well. There are all kinds of weird files hanging around in my VM folder that weren't there before the crash. There is one called *.ram, another called .sav, another called, *.mem, *.fd. None of these existed before the hard crash.

Any suggestions besides the obvious one to reinstall everything. That is an unproductive suggestion. While it may be the only solution, I'd prefer other suggestions first.

Thanks.

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

the possible reason of your problem is that you have suspended your VM before upgrade, you have not shut it down.
    You can try to create new VM using your old .hdd file. You can find the instructions here. Only during the 4th step you should choose 'Use an existing hard disk image'.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. mrfearless47

mrfearless47 Member

That was a good suggestion. It worked to the extent that it told me that the OS was suspended during its shutdown. It shut the OS down and permitted me to create a new PVS file from the old .hdd image. Once that was done, I tried to start Parallels. I was greeting with the spinning beach ball of death and had to "force quit" to exit from Parallels. I also had a backup of the VM immediately after the crash but before I started tinkering. I also tried this with it. The first thing it did was "convert" it to a new format. After that, the VM froze just like the first one.

I'm still trying. Looking for the next step.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

try to delete all *.mem and *.sav files in your VM folder.

Best regards,
    Stacey