macOS 10.12.6 VM stuck at 1024x768 resolution

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Obi-Wan, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    please check Guest's System Preferences -> Security&Privacy for whether Parallels Extensions are not blocked by HighSierra. In my test environment this solved the issue

2. CURTH

CURTH Bit poster

No, there is no blocking happening within Security&Privacy. I leave that page open, install parallel extensions in the guest MAC HS machine and install finishes, no message in Security&Privacy, does the normal requires reboot, and nothing, problem still persists.

3. CarlosG5

CarlosG5 Bit poster

I tried also the approach. Host OS is High Sierra. Guest OS is High Sierra. Parallel 13.1.1 - Build 43120. On the guess OS, I open Security & Privacy / General. There is not a message there that tells you that Paralllel Extension can't be installed or waiting for permissions. In fact, it is installed. Asked for reboot and then after the system reboots you can see the warning on the top screen, right size, asking to install the extension agains. It seems, the system installed but it just doesn't work somehow.

4. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

> No, there is no blocking happening within Security&Privacy. I leave that page open, install parallel extensions in the guest MAC HS machine and install finishes, no message in Security&Privacy, does the normal requires reboot, and nothing, problem still persists.

The bad thing with macOS is that if you leave Security&Privacy tab open and then try you install some kernel extension that pane for user consent with "Allow" button would not be shown. You have to close System Preferences and open it once again, go to Security&Privacy tab and only after that you'll see request to allow KEXT.

Also there's an issue from Parallels Tools installer side. If you install Parallels Tools, press "Allow" button for "Parallels International GmbH" kernel extension, reboot the guest and notice that Tools still don't work - please, just try to install Parallels Tools once again. After the second attempt everything should work ok.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I can also suggest a way to disable this apple's kext-consent verification in guest mac os:
    - Open the VM Configuration -> Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced and enter the line to BootFlags:
    "devices.mac.csr-active-config=0x267" (without quotes)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. RuC

RuC Bit poster

Ive got exactly the same issue. Ive just paid for Paralells in order to run a Mojave Virtual machine in Catalina. My Vitual-Mojave is stuck at 1024x768 resolution/
    Mojave resolution.jpg

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi
    Do you have Parallels Tools installed? it can be done via menu -> Actions -> Install Parallels Tools

8. RuC

RuC Bit poster

Ah ! There we go, thank you ! I think its somewhat confusing/disingenuous of Parallels to call a free option'Parallel Tools' , & a secondly piece of nagware/paid-subscription 'parallels ToolBOX' it's almost as if they are hoping a certain number of poor souls accidentally buy something they didn't mean too

Elric likes this.
  9. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

I have this issue, but with Big Sur Beta. I run the "Install Parallels Tools" and it runs without warning or issue, I reboot and it's like I didn't even install it...stuck on 1024x768...anybody able to get around this for Big Sur Beta?...thanks

10. JorgeC10

JorgeC10 Bit poster

I have parallels tools installed and verified that they are running. But still only 1024 x 768.
    I have had the same results running both Catalina and Big Sur VMs.

11. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

This is known issue for Big SUr, discussed in many threads here. See: https://kb.parallels.com/en/125039

12. JorgeC10

JorgeC10 Bit poster

13. MarkJ19

MarkJ19 Bit poster

I now have this problem with Parallels 16.1.0, High Sierra (10.13.6) as the host and Lion (10.7.5) as guest. I could scale before, but since one of the last Parallels updates, it switched to 1024 x 768, without any other choices available in the Lion System Preferences. I've tried all the Parallels graphic settings with Scaled as the current choice. I've also reinstalled the ToolBox many times, and deleted the MacOs Lion display preferences.

14. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Did you make sure to reinstall the Parallels tools (should have run automatically)?

15. MarkJ19

MarkJ19 Bit poster

Yes, I've reinstalled the Parallel Tools many times. I also unistalled them, restarted and installed them again. Then, reinstalled a few more times while changing the Parallel Graphics preferences.

16. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Hmm...I've got nothing...I would've assumed that would be causing the issue....I'm running with Windows 10, Ubuntu 20 and Haiku-OS (32 and 64 bit) without any graphics issues...

17. MarkJ19

MarkJ19 Bit poster

MichaelM92, Thank you for your help.

18. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Sorry, I couldn't have been of more help...

19. AndrewK15

AndrewK15 Bit poster

Same issue as CarlosG5 above. I have Parallels Toolbox installed on both the VM and the host computer. Still always stuck at 1024x768 in the High Sierra VM.
    Any fixes for this?

Cheers,

Andrew K

20. Yvo

Yvo Bit poster

Same issue here,
    Version 16.1.0 (48950) and stuck at 1024*768 since I updated the tools this morning. Why did I do that? :-(