PD 15 incorrectly detects changes to the VM's configuration

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MarcelloR, Mar 12, 2020.

1. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello.
    More often it happens that Parallels Desktop does not allow me to resume my VM after I suspended it.
    PD display a dialog that says that the VM's configuration has been changed since last boot but it's not true!

*** STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    There are many different cases when it happens more often than others.
    For example, it happens very often when:
    Suspend VM => Close Parallels Desktop => Run Time Machine Backup => Start Parallels Desktop => Resume the VM
    or when:
    Suspend VM => Close Parallels Desktop => Reboot my Mac => Start Parallels Desktop => Resume the VM

Of course, I do not make any change to the VM's configuration, but PD detect some changes anyway!

*** WORKAROUND

I observed that if I press the 'Cancel' button on the dialog and I try to Resume the VM again, in the most of the cases I'm able to resume the VM without any problem. Sometimes I have to try for two/three times before having my VM to resume without any problem.

*** CONFIGURATION
    Paralles Desktop for Business v. 15.1.2 (47123)
    macOS Catalina 10.15.3
    MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019 / 2,4 GHz Intel Core i9 8 core / 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / 8 TB)
    Guest OS: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (build 18363.693)

2. ParkunanD@Parallels

ParkunanD@Parallels Member

Hello MarcelloR, we have a latest build update for Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac(15.1.3), please use this link to update to latest build: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd15 once after, please manually update Parallels Tools: https://kb.parallels.com/115835 and check for the Parallels virtual machine pause options and startup and shutdown settings are set correctly: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v15/docs/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/43121.htm

3. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi @ParkunanD@Parallels,
    thank you very much for your post.

Following your instructions, I downloaded and installed the latest build.
    BTW: my startup&shutdown settings are set as per you documentation, except "Startup view", where I set 'Full screen'.

Right now it looks the problem has been resolved but I will keep an eye on my installation during the next days.

Thank you.
    -m

4. Nice to know that it is sorted out. Please get back to us for any further queries.

5. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello @Sathiya@Parallels,
    unfortunately I have to inform you that right now, I had the same issue once again.

Following are the steps I executed on my Mac:
    Suspend VM => Close Parallels Desktop => Logout current user => Login (same user) => Start Parallels Desktop => Resume the VM

Always the same message (Configuration settings changed since last start of the VM) but I didn't change anything. I clicked on Cancel for three times, at the fourth time the VM started correctly.

Thank you.
    -m

6. Aleksandr6

Aleksandr6 Bit poster

I have the same issue... in MBP 16, Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287) and PD 15.1.3 (47255)

7. Hello guys, please update your Parallels Desktop 15 to the latest build: 15.1.4, reinstall Parallel Tools and then check the issue.
    Please let us know how does it work.

8. GaryL4

GaryL4 Bit poster

I have the same problem I have been having with 15.1.4 It seems to be related to my 2nd display. Recently I launched Parallels and I got the message: This Mac or "WIn10" Configuration has been changed "Win10" was suspended. Clicking cancel caused the message to keep coming back. But in this case, I did notice part of the "Win10" windows was on my laptop screen and on the 2nd display. I moved the window to only be on the laptop screen and hit cancel and it resumed. I am pretty sure when I suspended, the window was on the 2nd display.

mbpbb likes this.
  9. mbpbb

mbpbb Bit poster

I would like to report this issue also. It is very annoying.
    I notice the issue very often on my Macbook Pro 16" connected to a LG Display. My Macbook 16" is fully loaded with 64GB of memory.
    I also have a Macbook Pro 13" and do not notice the issue on the 13".

My Macbook Pro 16" frequently says that the Mac or VM configuration has changed when it has not.
    This happens when I am reverting to previous snapshots.
    It happens on both Windows and Linux VM. It's very annoying.
    If I wait 30 seconds to a minute and try again, it will allow me to revert the snapshot and bypass the error message.

This must be some kind of bug. I am using the latest Parallels 15.1.4. I don't think I noticed this issue in the previous Parallels build.

10. mbpbb

mbpbb Bit poster

Sorry, I'd like to add that I also use my VMs on my secondary monitor, which seems to be a common thing between me and the last poster.
    I also have the latest Parallels Tools installed (Parallels automatically updates the VM's Tools after Parallels updates)

11. ToddH5

ToddH5 Bit poster

I am running build 15.1.4, and I am experiencing this problem still.

12. ToddH5

ToddH5 Bit poster

Reading further, I see that I have a similar configuration to GaryL4 and mbpbb: I am running Parallels 15.1.4 on an MB Pro 16 (late 2019) with an external display, and the parallels window is on the external display. When I shut the Parallels app down and later restart it, I get a false "configuration change" notice.

13. PavelP1

PavelP1 Bit poster

Hi, I am using last build 15.1.4 on an MB Pro 16 (late 2019). Situation is worse when you turn on "Return mode" (sorry I have Russian version dont know exact English term). After getting this message Parallels crashes and destroy (reset) all working VM's. I have lost data several times, not mentioning loosing time trying to Restore VM's after crash. When will you fix this!!???

14. jchapman9

jchapman9 Member

I am using an additional external display on a 2019 iMac with the same problem. I have 15.1.4 (47270) version of Parallels, and Catalina 10.15.6