macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Wynter

Wynter Bit poster

This worked for me! (I borrowed your logic board identifiers, I hope you don't mind, lmao.) I think this must be some cryptic DSMOS (Don't Steal Mac OS) type thing.

Now my issue is that I can't get to the desktop for more than about a second before it chokes up and sends me back to the login window. I took a screen recording of the output when it was sending me back to the login window. (I booted into Safe Mode and Verbose.)
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.33.54 AM.png

2. BryonB1

BryonB1 Bit poster

Installed latest Beta, getting the following error: Parallels Desktop cannot be started because some of the required components are missing from the operating system of your Mac. I've tried to reinstall Parallels Desktop 15, however, the installation hangs and does not complete. Any suggestions?

Marcos12, MathiasK6, DirkB5 and 3 others like this.
  3. toonetown

toonetown Member

This is very likely the WindowServer crash. I get it now every time on beta 3...within seconds. Previously, I only got it when I clicked on the (non-existent) control center area.

4. EvanR

EvanR Bit poster

It would appear that there is a hardcoded check inside one of the Parallels binaries "inittool2" which checks for Parallels version being 10 or not. When you run this file manually in Terminal, it always returns "Fatal: this is not OS X". I assume that Apple changed something where Parallels was perhaps checking for macOS 10.16 and now it has been changed 10 11.0.

if [ ${osx_ver[0]} -ne 10 ]; then
    log error "Fatal: this is not OS X"
    exit $RC_BROKEN_SYS
    fi
    if [ ${osx_ver[1]} -lt 11 ]; then
    log error "Fatal: OS X version '${osx_ver}' is not supported"
    exit $RC_BROKEN_SYS
    fi

5. CraigL4

CraigL4 Bit poster

Yep. I would warn everyone who uses Parallels for real work to avoid installing Big Sur beta 3. You will be dead in the water.

6. EhdreiA

EhdreiA Bit poster

the same happens to me

Attached Files:

7. LouieT

LouieT Bit poster

Yup same problem. Hope they come up with an update or solution soon

8. MikeF8

MikeF8 Bit poster

Parallels seems to be way behind they haven't even addressed the issues with the very first beta and now we can't event run parallels at all. I don't believe they have release any update at all since the beta was released which is just shameful.

9. PeterS3

PeterS3 Junior Member

seems I updated too early .. PD15 is down :(

10. CraigL4

CraigL4 Bit poster

Oh... I see you can set a shell environment variable "SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT" to 1, which will get /usr/bin/sw_vers to report the host macOS system version as 10.16 instead of 11.0. This will satisfy Parallels' inittool2 program, and Parallels runs. You'll have to run Parallels from a shell instead of the Finder, though, until inittool2 is changed to accommodate macOS version 11.*.

ClausK3 and billxiong like this.
  11. JosephM9

JosephM9 Bit poster

I have the same issue - any ideas on a fix ETA?

12. Hello, could please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

13. JosephM9

JosephM9 Bit poster

Hi
    I have tried but unfortunately I am getting the spinning ball and not able to submit one.
    The error is: "Parallels Desktop cannot be started because some of the required components are missing from the operating system of your Mac." since upgrading to Big Sur Beta 3

14. Did you try to do the same from the Terminal?

ClausK3 likes this.
  15. JosephM9

JosephM9 Bit poster

Yes - trying the command errors as:

joe@MacBook-Pro ~ % prlsrvctl problem-report --send

Jul 23 09:59:54 pdfm-bootstrap[13998] <Error>: prlsrvctl[13962]: Failed to initialize Parallels Desktop in unattended mode.

This may be caused by ether corrupt installation or if you just installed Parallels Desktop.

In order to initialize Parallels desktop ether:

1. Start Paralles Desktop by double-clicking to Parallels Desktop bundle, or

2. Run following initialization procedure from command line:

sudo "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/inittool2" init -b "/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app"
    If I run the init command:
    Jul 23 10:01:18 pdfm-bootstrap[14055] <Error>: inittool[14053]: Fatal: this is not OS X

16. billxiong

billxiong Bit poster

Thanks Craig, this works for me. I set the environment variable SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1 and use command 'open -a "Parallels Desktop" ', now PD15 can start and I can run my Windows VM.

MiguelT4 likes this.
  17. ClausK3

ClausK3 Bit poster

So - how does one learn the technical reason for this error? When starting Parallels For Mac (on Big Sur, Beta 3!), I'm met with this error.
    How can I find the actual reason and what's missing?

Attached Files:

18. JosephM9

JosephM9 Bit poster

This is because macOS version in beta 3 changed from 10.16 to 11. Parallels needs to issue and update or a hotfix workaround quickly.

19. GrzegorzK

GrzegorzK Bit poster

Same problem here.

20. TaussG

TaussG Bit poster

Same problem here!