Installation on external hard drive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ThomD, Jul 25, 2020.

1. ThomD

ThomD Bit poster

Hello,
    I am trying Parallel Desktop and I am puzzled.
    I have a Macbook Pro + 1 To external Hard drive. I succeeded to install Parallel on the Macbook Pro and the Windows VM on the external Hard Drive.

Now, I want to install Steam with the VM Windows, on the external Hard Drive. And there I am puzzled.
    Steam (as many windows applications) launches an installer where I can select where I want to install Steam. Unfortunately, the installer does not show the hard drive but just "C:" that is limited to 250 Go. First, I do not know where this C: is (on the hard drive ?) and second I would prefer to see the external hard drive. In windows, the external hard drive is visible with the name V:. But the installer does not know V:.

Is there any trick to do what I wish to do ?

Best regards

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

C: (and usually D:, depending on how you created the Windows VM) is a virtual hard disk inside the VM. The virtual disk is a part of the VM package (i.e., Windows.vmp) on the external disk. Best to install it to where the installer defaults, within the VM: "C:/Program Files (x86)".

3. Hi ThomD. The C drive is located on the physical drive where your VM file is located. The size of the C drive might be different from the actual size of the physical hard disk because you need to configure the size of the C drive during the installation and the same size will be reflected there irrespective of your physical hard disk size. Hence, installing the program in the C drive will be installed on the external drive as per your current configuration.