macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

If you had installed before, you can restore from Time Machine - I did, after screwing everything up by installing the App Store version initially. If you did not have it installed before, you may be in trouble. I haven't seen a way to install full version on Beta 3.

TimmyW1 likes this.
  2. TimmyW1

TimmyW1 Junior Member

No, I don't have Time Machine running. I really need to get another drive dedicated to that. I do, however have it on my Catalina backup. Can I copy over the app from the Applications folder?

3. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

Yes that should work. That's effectively the same as restoring from Time Machine.

TimmyW1 likes this.
  4. toonetown

toonetown Member

May want to reconsider running BS on a primary machine that is critical for your job...

JulsS and Killerbob like this.
  5. TimmyW1

TimmyW1 Junior Member

I copied the Parallels .app from my Catalina backup and did as this post suggested and it worked! Thank you!

6. TimmyW1

TimmyW1 Junior Member

I added a Fedora VM and it will fail to install the Parallels tools inside the VM. Any ideas?

7. Hello also as a workaround you can install Parallels Desktop for Mac App Store Edition and check the issue.

8. md112

md112 Bit poster

I have installed Parallels Desktop from the App Store and it is working to run a VM. However, I cannot get into any VM preferences to change hardware.

Control Centre is just hanging with spinning wheel.

9. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I would like to share that I received from Apple my Developer Translation Kit today and I was intending that I could try to get Parallels up and running. I downloaded from the website but I couldn't install so then I went to the Apple store where I was able to download and install, but it won't run. The error that I get is "Parallels Desktop App Store Edition is not compatible with your Mac.

For the record, all the apps are running very fast and equals my iMac i7 Intel based machine. I am able to have a lot of windows open and Office 365 runs stellar. Firefox web browser didn't run for me. Thankfully an error popped up that allowed me to send to Apple for their review.

I would love to be a Beta Tester since I have the new ARM processor and Big Sur. I could really use Parallels on this DTK and would like to know if anyone else had any luck installing on the new processor. Any tips or bits of advice. Even if Linux is the only OS that would run, I would be ok with that for now.

10. md112

md112 Bit poster

How can we add a virtual TPM chip to a VM by editing the config.pvs file?

11. Scary

Scary Bit poster

Following the previously-mentioned environment variable, I was able to reinstall the full version by mounting the DMG, then using:
    Code:
    export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1
    open /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ 15/Install.app
    Once installed, the app can be opened using that Automator script or doing it manually using:
    Code:
    export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1
    open /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app

billxiong and Parallels User like this.
  12. Sagrido

Sagrido Bit poster

This does not help, as I get stuck in the "Restart to finish installation" loop even still. No matter I use PD15 or the recent PD16 beta.

13. RobS13

RobS13 Bit poster

PD16 - where did you get that from?

14. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

May I ask how you had access to the beta?
    I have asked about this and received no reply from Parallels. Moreover, I am frankly rather surprised that they have still not provided a fix for the App, so Big Sur can be installed seamlessly.

BrianS21 likes this.
  15. Sagrido

Sagrido Bit poster

I eventually got an invitation via e-mail. That's all I know.

16. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

17. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I not only have Big Sur Beta three, but I am also using the A12X processor from Apple. I am unable to install Parallels and I really need to at some point. Looking to be a beta tester or get some help from Parallels. Anything.

18. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

I sent a support ticket requesting the beta of Parallels 16 and I am awaiting a reply.

LeeR6 likes this.
  19. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I created a support ticket, as well and hoping that the beta resolves the install issues. Thanks for the advice.

20. Scary

Scary Bit poster

I assume you went into System Preferences and the Security & Privacy settings to see if the option to allow the Parallels extension was there? I had that there as part of the installation and once I allowed it, everything worked fine.