What is the difference between subscribing via Apple Store and Parallels Store?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mike Boreham, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I have a Parallels account and have bought the new release every year, but considering moving to the subscription model, which I can do on the Apple store or the Parallels Store.

Most apps on the Apple Store allow installation on more than one computer. Since the sub via Apple is £73.99 and via Parallels is £39.99 (or £3.33pm) I assume the Apple store allows at least two machines.

If I move to the Apple Store sub would I keep my existing Parallels account or is it like starting over?

Any other pros and cons?

Thanks

2. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

If you have the Pro version now and use those features, you will lose a lot of functionality if you go with the app store version. I just tested it as a workaround to an issue with Parallels on Big Sur dev beta 3 and it does not work for my needs. See attached image for some of the features you will lose.

Limitations.png

Mike Boreham likes this.
  3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thank you very much.

4. Hi Mike Boreham. Please refer to this article to know the difference between the App Store Edition and the Standard edition subscription.

Mike Boreham likes this.
  5. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks you very much. Why would anyone get the Apple Store version? Is it because the Apple Store version at £73.99 allows install on more than one computer, while the Parallels supplied one for £39.99 is for a single machine?

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Users prefer App Store not only because of App Store policy but based on their needs they only need to use Windows for some simple tasks and they don't need those other features provided with the version provided on our website.

Mike Boreham likes this.
  7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks but I am still struggling to understand Parallels pricing and options:

1. Buy Standard version upgrade when it is released annually: €49.99 every year (what I have been doing for several years)
    2. Subscribe to Pro (higher capability) version: €99.99 per year but currently reduced to €49.99.
    3. Subscribe to Apple Store (reduced capability) version: £69.99 (€77.49)

Have I got the basic facts right?
    If I subscribe to Pro now am I locked in to the €49.99 or will it be €99.99 next renewal?
    There doesn't seem to be a a subscribe to Standard version, which in the past worked out the same as buying upgrade every year?
    All of these are for a single license/one machine?
    Is there anything about the Apple Store option which is better?

Thanks

8. Hello,
    1. If I subscribe to Pro now am I locked in to the €49.99 or will it be €99.99 next renewal?
    Next renewal will cost 49,99
    2. There doesn't seem to be a a subscribe to Standard version, which in the past worked out the same as buying upgrade every year?
    Standard version doesn't have a subscription plan. It's a permanent license and once you need a upgrade you will need to purchase an upgrade.
    3. All of these are for a single license/one machine?
    We have a policy 1 license for 1 Mac
    4. Is there anything about the Apple Store option which is better?
    Please let us know what would you like to know about the Parallels Desktop for App Store.

9. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thank you. I have asked about the use of the App Store version on two Macs (not family sharing) in another thread.