No Longer able to 'Hide' or 'Quit' Parallels . . . ?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AlbertS7, Jul 16, 2020.

1. AlbertS7

AlbertS7 Bit poster

Up until the last day or so, I was able to use CMD-H while using Parallels to hide my Parallels desktop and any software I was running on it, just as I can hide Safari or any other software window to get it temporarily out of the way. Now it doesn't work

Worse, I can't even use CMD-Q to quit out of Parallels and get back to my Mac environment! In order to ditch the Blue Windows desktop, I must now use Apple FORCE-QUIT feature to shit down Parallels.

This is a real drag -- have I changed a setting of some kind on accident, or has a recent update crippled these crucial options?

2. Hello, why are you using "Force quit" instead of Start-> Shut down on the VM side?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. AlbertS7

AlbertS7 Bit poster

Hi -- I'm not even sure where to find Start > Shut Down when I have parallels open... is it the 'Off' button you see when you click the little windows icon in the lower left corner? But I'm guessing my answers that I'm not wanting to fully shut down the windows application I'm running -- say I'm playing backgammon using a windows front-end, but want to duck out to send a text message in my Mac environment. Formerly, I would just CMD-H, which would instantly. hide my parallels environement, revealing whatever apps I have open in my Mac environment. To return to Windows I would just click on the Parallels icon in the dock -- I don't actually wish to shut down the Windows app.

4. Are you using your Parallels Desktop VM in window mode? or maybe in Coherence or Full Screen mode?

5. AlbertS7

AlbertS7 Bit poster

Now I see what happened -- I got Parallels into it's own 'Space' on accident. The Apple 'Spaces' feature is just flat-out confusing. Sorry for the bother.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  6. Thanks a lot for sharing your results with us.