USB device you are trying to connect to the VM is being used by another application

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Neekstah, Jun 21, 2007.

1. orionmorgan

orionmorgan Bit poster

so how do i fix it then???:confused:

2. toadstool

toadstool Junior Member

Check for Updates from the Help menu and upgrade to build 3214 or higher for Parallels 2, or build 4128 or higher for Parallels 3.0.

3. spot the blip

spot the blip Junior Member

toadstool, it may be fixed for some but for others we still have the same irritating problem.

OS X 10.4.10, Parallels 3.0 (5160)

4. w9lp

w9lp Bit poster

Update for what it's worth...

I've had this persistent problem since originally installing Parallels. Contacted Parallels support and have tried a number of different updates and USB/Serial Interfaces.

Now running Build 5158 Release Candidate 2 of Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac on a 15" MacBook Pro with no resolution. Parallels Support acknowledges this is a bug that will be fixed. No info on when the fix will be ready.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried the workaround where you open the Parallels application and then select the appropriate configuration file?

6. w9lp

w9lp Bit poster

Not sure I know which workaround you're referring to... do you have a reference or URL? I have selected the device within the Parallels App and seen the same results... it certainly is consistent.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

8. w9lp

w9lp Bit poster

Thanks for the reference Eru. I heard this workaround can work on pre-3.0 versions of Parallels... unfortunately, I heard AFTER I updated to 3.0. Unless I don't understand what it means to open the Parallels.app... the Application... I've been around this block many times. No luck. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

9. Wolf Larsen

Wolf Larsen Bit poster

My solution was switching back to 10.4.9.
    VMWare-Fusion - 10.4.10 - USB - No Problem :)

Wolf

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... I think you are getting it, it just means not to open the .pvs file directly. Have you tried upgrading to 5160? Also, what are your settings for when a USB device is connected? Ask user, auto-connect to VM, or no action?

11. Zerodev

Zerodev Bit poster

If you've upgraded to the latest build and tried workarounds to no avail, try deleting your virtual machine and starting from scratch. After much frustration, those 5 minutes allowed me to use the USB ports in Parallels.

12. jasonb

jasonb Bit poster

Problems still?

Anyone still having problems with this? I'm running 3.0 build 5160 and can not get a Garmin device to work properly at all.

This is unbelievably frustrating.

It seems most of the people having problems were running 2.5, but I'm on 3.0 and it still doesn't work.

Anyone come up with a viable work-around?

Thanks.

-- Jason

13. spot the blip

spot the blip Junior Member

Jason, I'm still having the same problem ( Macbook & iMac, OS x 10.4.10, PD 5160). I'm not sure I want to go through the effort of re-installing the VM. The bit that annoys me (and has done for a while) is that it used to work.

14. jasonb

jasonb Bit poster

Same boat

Yes, I agree. Deleting and re-installing is not something I really want to do.

And, mine worked twice I believe. Once back when I first installed it, then once again a few weeks ago. Other than that it has been nothing but headaches.

-- Jason

15. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try re-installing Parallels... Delete. Restart. Install.

If you use their un-installer it won't delete your .hdd file.

16. Zerodev

Zerodev Bit poster

In my case, I didn't need to delete/re-install Parallels. All I did was delete the Virtual Machine (and any reference to it) and make a new one. Really just took me 5 minutes to do, and I was so happy that I thought of doing that. It's worked just fine for me since then.