MacBook Pro 16 randomly not going to full sleep mode

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DawidM, Jan 10, 2020.

1. DawidM

DawidM Junior Member

Hi,

I'm using PD 15.1.2 (47123) with Windows 10. When virtual machine is running my MacBook Pro 16" randomly is not going to full sleep mode (this means, that fan's are spinning silently, computer stops networking & other things, but draw battery, and after opening lid I need to press power button to wake it up). When I choose sleep from Apple logo menu computer goes completely to sleep mode. But closing lid is some kind of Russian roulette. Initially I observed some connection with battery modes (like travel mode), but after lot of testing it's more like random.

I already tried: reseting SMC, PRAM, reinstalling parallels tools, rebooting everything several times. Nothing helps.

What's important: it only happens, when virtual machine with Windows 10 is running. When VM is sleeping, everything is working smoothly.

Abdulwahab1 likes this.
  2. Abdulwahab1

Abdulwahab1 Bit poster

Best Answer
    hello
    I open a support ticket and they provide a solution and it's working for me

go to your VM and click on the setting after that Hardware > CPU & Memory > Hypervisor > select Apple
    you must shutdown the VM to change this option

I do that and my MAC go to sleep as espected

thanks

PetrM3 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  3. DawidM

DawidM Junior Member

By "randomly is not going to full sleep mode" I mean, that when I close lid, it is not going to sleep as expected.

4. DawidM

DawidM Junior Member

Update: changing hypervisor to Apple looks like working solution for now.

5. DawidM

DawidM Junior Member

New macOS (10.15.4) and new Parallels 15.1.3 - problem still exists. And same as above, switching to Apple hypervisor solves problem.
    Parallels - is anybody here? Or Yours support is like sell&forgot? I'm srsly thinking about migrating back to VMware.

6. Abdulwahab1

Abdulwahab1 Bit poster

thanks for posting this I have the same issue and I think there is some issue with my Mac but after I see your discussion I think the problem with parallels.

also I reset the SMC,PRAM and the issue still exists.

I hope they fix the issue ASAP

7. PetrM3

PetrM3 Bit poster

Hello, I have the same even worse. I am not going to seep either with closing lid nor by apple menu. I have to have parallels app in trash and then sleep mode is running ok. I did all things, reinstall OS X parallels tools, reset VRAM, all. I have new MacBook one week. I don't know what is "switching to Apple hypervisor". Thank you

8. Abdulwahab1

Abdulwahab1 Bit poster

Best Answer
    hello
    I open a support ticket and they provide a solution and it's working for me

go to your VM and click on the setting after that Hardware > CPU & Memory > Hypervisor > select Apple
    you must shutdown the VM to change this option

I do that and my MAC go to sleep as espected

thanks

PetrM3 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  9. Guys, could you please create a tech report once the issue reproduced, and then use solution open VM configuration -> the Hardware > CPU & Memory > Hypervisor > select Apple and then collect new tech report and post both reports' IDs here.
    Looking forward to your reply.

10. PetrM3

PetrM3 Bit poster

It works thanks

11. Abdulwahab1

Abdulwahab1 Bit poster

done.

12. Got it, saw it in your ticket.
    We will continue the issue investigation with the Parallels Engineering Team and contact you once we get any updates. Thank you once again.

13. PetrM3

PetrM3 Bit poster

Hello I made this ticket #2732515 send two reports, Change of hypervisor yes not work for me, and I have experienced internet connection fail for the second time in row. Thank you

14. Science Underdog

Science Underdog Bit poster

Hi, I had a similar issue after I transferred my Win 10 to my new MacBook Pro. In my case, when I left my laptop idle for 10min, it supposedly went into sleep. Then I had to press the power button (Touch ID) to wake it up. However, trackpad was still clickable, i.e "force touch" still working. The only thing not responsive appeared to be the screen (when I plugged into power cable, it sounded!). I did change hypervisor from "Parallels" to "Apple", and this worked for me. At the end, I reinstalled a completely new Win 10 Pro, and the problem seems solved (I checked my old laptop's virtual machine setting that is still "Parallels" for hypervisor, and it worked totally fine).

15. Science Underdog

Science Underdog Bit poster

Not long after I thought the issue was resolved, I now again have the same issue! All I had done in this one hour was simply editing few Word documents and using Endnote. I don't understand why this is happening? Never had this issue with my old MacBook Pro that was just replaced two days ago...

16. Hi, is it possible to collect the tech report data once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?
    We will forwarded it to the Parallels Engineering Team, they are currently working on the issue resolution.

17. KunalP

KunalP Bit poster

Hi. I have the same issue. I have a brand-new MacBook Pro 20 2013 inch. I've parallels 15.1.4. When I put the Mac to sleep in the clamshell position I wake up and the battery has drained significantly. When I put the MacBook in safe mode and hence cannot run parallels the issue has gone away. Is there a permanent solution to this question? I have done the above edit today and so do not know the outcome of the change of the hypervisor to Apple

18. We are investigating the issue.
    If you would like to you can try to choose Apple Hypervisor and check the issue.

19. DawidM

DawidM Junior Member

Parallels 16 and problem still exists. Am I paying for Apple hypervisor, or Parallels one? Support is doing literals nothing. I need nested virtualization, but it's useless, because Apple hypervisor doesn't support it.

20. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Same here - I just purchased parallels 16 but no change at all. Why did I even paid for it. ?

21. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Just to add, they collected all my technical reports and came to the conclusion it is a bug in parallels 15 and closed the ticket with the remark - developers will fix it. Till date no fix to that acknowledged bug!