very SLOW resume

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OzoneGuy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. OzoneGuy

OzoneGuy Bit poster

When I resume a suspended VM, sometimes it will take 5-10 minutes to resume. This has started relatively recently, although I cannot remember if it coincided with any particular change in my system or upgrade of Parallels. It doesn't happen every time, just most times.

It is not a fatal problem, but it is annoying.

I'm on a Mac Pro, running XP and Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 4560.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Are you running any Mac Virus software?

I notice the new version of Parallels is able to mount its drive as a Mac volume as well.

I am wondering if some virus software is 'checking' this volume and hence slowing down Parallels.

Just a thought.

Robin

3. OzoneGuy

OzoneGuy Bit poster

No virus software

No, I'm not running any virus software on the mac.

4. willybnl

willybnl Junior Member

Same here, not 10 minutes, but almost always 5 minutes. Seems normal...

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

My is coming out off suspending within 30 sec.
    Can't explain why yours is so slow.....do you have mcaffe or norton installed on windows site?
    I work with Kasperky and it seems to me that i works faster, especially in starting vm.

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Mine takes between 30 seconds and 60 seconds before the PC starts responding.

Then my PC antivirus normally kicks in to download updates and this slows the PC down a bit but it is certainly working.

Cheers.

Robin

7. LazyKnight

LazyKnight Bit poster

I've had a very similar problem on my machine, and disabling the sharing of the windows drive has improved resumption of the VM considerably. Someone in another thread hpothesised that this might be to do with spotlight or finder trying to index the mounted volume, rather than an AV product trying to scan it.

8. cagg

cagg Bit poster

me too - VERY slow lately

I've also encountered this, however this has only started recently. Some times it'll be slow, or sometimes it'll crash immediately on displaying the "resuming" dialog window. And once it starts crashing it will continue to crash every time, until I delete the suspended file by changing a setting.

I can start into Windows faster than wait for it to resume. It's very frustrating.

The only changes recently:
    - I created a Snapshot; then:
    - I installed SQL 2005 & VB 2005 (express versions) into my Win 2000 host.

I'm running on a Macbook with 2GB RAM and 512 MB assigned to my guest OS.
    I have tried various tips found throughout the forum, like completely disabling Shared applications and "SmartSelect" (I find no use for that feature anyway) and turning off the option to mount virtual disks to Mac desktop. Although, I've left the "Sharing All Windows Disks" on, so I can properly use drag-and-drop.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Parallels developers are aware of the slow resuming problem. The issue is to be fixed in future versions. Please sorry for the inconvenience caused. Thank you for your reports.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. cagg

cagg Bit poster

Thanks, Xenos !
    Looking forward to the next update also including full Leopard compatibility
    ;-)

11. ParT

ParT Bit poster

That was 2007, and now its 2022 and still about 40 seconds for resume.