Big Sur Public Beta and Parallels 16 - Only showing a 3Mb graphics card

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Nentecular, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

I got the notification for Parallels 16 this morning and installed it straight away.

Parallels Tools now installs and Big Sur boots OK but it's only reporting a 3Mb graphics card and I can't change the resolution from 1024x768. This also means no hardware acceleration and dreadful performance.

Parallels Version 16.0.0 (48916)
    macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5343j)

[​IMG]

warnergt likes this.
  2. J.R.B

J.R.B Bit poster

Same issue here on a similar system, got to be a bug in the final build because I did a virtual briefing with them last week (I'm a tech journalist) and it was working flawlessly on their MacBook Pros.

3. VladA

VladA Junior Member

Same issue here with big sur beta4

They should also mention the upgrade (of vm) from 10.15.6 to 11.0 will fail if parallels tools for mac are installed ( will fail with black screen after boot-up when upgrade is finished)

koichiy3 likes this.
  4. ChrisH29

ChrisH29 Junior Member

Same, just to add to the chorus, whether 512, 1Gb or 2Gb graphics memory. Le sigh. Fresh install w Beta 2 and then upgraded to beta 4 as the guest os.

5. Mark34

Mark34 Bit poster

Same issue. I had Big Sur running before I upgraded to v16 of Parallels with same problem so it hasn't been fixed. I feel though that the vm of Big Sur is running slightly better but still too slow. Running on a new MacBook Pro 13 with 16gb of ram using 4gb for the vm.

6. RowanD1

RowanD1 Bit poster

Same thing here. 3MB Graphics. Stuck on 1024x768 with slow performance (laggy mouse). And "MEMORY MODULES MISCONFIGURED" alert still comes up on boot (Mac Pro). At least it boots with Parallel tools and clipboard support works.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @Nentecular, what macOS version do you have installed as a host OS on the Mac? Please note that to get better resolution as well as Metal graphics support in macOS Big Sur VM, the host version of macOS must be Big Sur as well.

8. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you for this note, @VladA. We will check it and add a note to the KB article https://kb.parallels.com/en/125039.

koichiy3 likes this.
  9. stuartf

stuartf Member

The 3Mb graphics card is a bug that needs to be fixed. saying higher resolution is only available on a host version of Big Sur is negating the reason that I and I guess others use Parallels. To test out new OS versions before upgrading

Without this option Parallels 16 is valueless

SabineT and Miles_Teg like this.
  10. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

Catalina 10.15.6
    Exactly this. I want to test Big Sur before installing it on the main system. I don't recall this being a limitation before.

MatthiasS9 and koichiy3 like this.
  11. matt27

matt27 Bit poster

Agree with others. The reason we bought Parallels was to allow us to test Big Sur before installing it on our primary driver OS!

koichiy3 likes this.
  12. wjpjr

wjpjr Bit poster

Agree, higher than 1024x768 resolution only if your running Big Sur on Big Sur is BS and must be fixed. Hello VMware..

13. EikoB

EikoB Bit poster

This is (again) very disappointing - and quite dishonest marketing as well.

koichiy3 likes this.
  14. stuartf

stuartf Member

Everyone impacted by this please open a ticket to report this bug. This needs to get attention of the development team not just individuals in this forum

Thanks

15. wjpjr

wjpjr Bit poster

Not true. Here is my Big Sur VM running on Big Sur showing the same 3MB graphics memory allocated along with 1024x768 display resolution and poor performance. The product is not ready for Big Sur as being advertised. Maybe it will be ready eventually but it should be listed as coming soon right now..
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 12.37.20 PM.png

koichiy3 and Nentecular like this.
  16. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

Thank you - In my opinion, it's not fit for purpose at the moment. Trying to evaluate and test the Big Sur beta is effectively impossible at 1024x768 resolution.

17. stuartf

stuartf Member

Just received this from support - totally unacceptable . Time to advise everyone I can think of not to but Parallels 16

Thank you for contacting Parallels Support.
    This email is in regards to your graphic card usage in Big Sur Virtual machine.
    In order to use maximum resources in Big Sur Virtual machine, Host OS should also be Big Sur due to the recent API implementation.
    We are closing this ticket. Please get back to us if you have any other queries.
    Thank you for choosing Parallels. Have a great day!

wjpjr and Nentecular like this.
  18. SimoneT3

SimoneT3 Bit poster

nice, I was tempted to upgrade, but after reading this thread I've changed my mind. :(

19. wjpjr

wjpjr Bit poster

Agree. Let's hope VMWare does a more professional job with less "misleading marketing hype" at reimagining their Fusion product for Big Sur. Twitter might be a better outlet to get this don't buy parallels 16 message out.

20. stuartf

stuartf Member

They seem to have the same issue due to a lack of new VMware tools but at least the Developer Preview of Fusion is free to use