Still over 100% CPU Usage . . . HELP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnH36, Feb 26, 2020.

1. RamanaB

RamanaB Bit poster

I have the Identical configuration - but with 1GB SSD :) landing in same issue - fans spin whenever i log to windows. I don't have much installed apps in windows 10, plain vanila. seems Parallels is becoming more power hungry without any reason.. planning to switch to Bootcamp and done with Parallels for now...

i don't need a VM for which one needs to be too techie to use and always switch between task managers to see what is cooking and kill, report, fix. It should work itself plain SIMPLE.

2. Hello, did you perform any steps? Clean boot for example?

3. RamanaB

RamanaB Bit poster

it is the prl_disp_service that consumes the 100%+++ CPU in MAC. Not WIndows. Troubleshooting Windows is of no use, the % CPU utilization of prl_disp_service needs to be addressed - even though all settings are as recommended, there is no relief.

Question to Parallel team - without disabling anything on MAC, or putting Parallels in Travel Mode - how do u disable usage of eGPU in parallels?

4. SamW12

SamW12 Bit poster

I have similar high CPU usage symptoms with windows 10 and Mac 10.15.5. My Mac is really slow

5. KimmoK1

KimmoK1 Bit poster

I have the same, latest Windows 10 pro, Mac 10.15.5 ja Parallers pro 15.1.4 (47270), very high CPU usage. CPU fan is running full speed.
    I'm mainly using Office products (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel).
    Had this problem for a year at least so not related to latest Parallers, Mac or Windows versions.
    Parallers settings are as recommended.
    Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018, 6 core i9 CPU and 32Gb RAM. 1tb SSD.

6. DonovanM

DonovanM Bit poster

I have this issue as well. 27" 5K iMac (2017), 4.2 GHz i7, 64GB RAM, 3.5TB Fusion drive. Parallels v15.1.4. Running Mojave v10.14.6.

7. KimmoK1

KimmoK1 Bit poster

and I was able to reduce CPU usage byt disabling "Access Windows folders from Mac". Saw postings about it and decided to try.
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-12-windows-10-high-cpu-usage.338758/

8. TonyC18

TonyC18 Bit poster

I have had the same problem for about a year now.

MarcN1 likes this.
  9. ColinA1

ColinA1 Bit poster

Is there any update to this subject? I have just reinstalled Parallels software yesterday, now my fan is going crazy, even if I have no applications running.

10. SamW12

SamW12 Bit poster

Updating Mac to Big Sur and Windows 10 version 2004 doesn't work. My is Macbook Pro 2018 with 6 Core i7, 32GB Ram.

Attached Files:

11. RyanM16

RyanM16 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem - Windows 10 VM consumes 150% of mac cpu at idle and the fans are going crazy. PRL_DISP_SERVICE floats from 100% - 400%.

12. JustinD3

JustinD3 Bit poster

Same issue here - Kills my battery on MacBook Pro.

13. zquanghoangz

zquanghoangz Bit poster

14. zquanghoangz

zquanghoangz Bit poster

Just realize have another issue w that.
    If I change to "Parallels" my laptop sound will be unstable and disappear, need to restart to get the sound back.
    Last time I change to "Apple" to fix the sound issue.
    So far need to choose one over the other.

Any parallels tech guys here can support on that?
    Note that I'm using Parallels Desktop 16 still have issue.

15. JustinD3

JustinD3 Bit poster

hypervisor already selected for me. Parallels crushes my battery.

16. KellyB3

KellyB3 Bit poster

I have been having issues with my sound with my Macbook pro for months now and Apple have not been able to identify why. Same as above, the only way to get it back is shut down mac and start again.. I too also have issues with my CPU and contant fan running.

17. PeterR20

PeterR20 Bit poster

I used to have the same problem with similar hardware than the original post; but now my cpu usage is around 10%-20% when idle, what I did was go to my Windows VM and turn off index services, the antivirus, and windows update service (after installing all pending updates). My guess is that Windows index and the antivirus were trying to analyze and index my whole Mac hard drive; since I only use the VM for development and I don't care about turning off those things.

18. SaehoonD

SaehoonD Junior Member

I've had the same issue with Win10 + parallels12 and 13.
    I got Window Server 2003 and It has no issue.
    This should be fixed by now.

19. Hello, what is your macOS version?

20. Could you please collect the tech report and post the report's ID here?
    Please generate the tech report once issue reproduced please/