Windows 10 Insider Preview 20175.1000

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Pentad, Jul 25, 2020.

1. JPearn

JPearn Member

No joy still the same, tried also now with 20190. Parallels team over to you.

2. RobD9

RobD9 Bit poster

Just to chime in that from 20175 onwards I've had the same issue - latest Big Sur dev release on the host, Parallels 16 and Win 10 Tech Preview VM

3. HowardD2

HowardD2 Junior Member

Thank you for this, as it solved the issue I and others have been having.

Some questions, if I may:
    Have you received a reply from Parallels?
    Will they be providing a permanent fix?
    Should leave I leave "Enable Nested virtualization" checked following the upgrade?

Any information on the above would be appreciated.

4. mafoe

mafoe Bit poster

AngeloR, You made my day! Thank you SOOO Much! Cheers Marco

Michael Pitt likes this.
  5. RobD9

RobD9 Bit poster

Boom! Working for me too - 16" MBP with Big Sur beta 4 - tech preview 20190 now installing!
    Thank you so much

6. JPearn

JPearn Member

Unless you don't have the option for "Enable Nested virtualization" as it's only available on Pro . . .

7. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser Junior Member

On PD v15, I had no issue with build 20175. However, after installing subsequent builds, I got this frozen boot screen issue. I reported the issue to Microsoft Preview folks using the Feedback Hub. Still waiting to hear back from them.

I installed PD v14 with trial period and attempting to install a new build, per your steps.

8. JPearn

JPearn Member

4 weeks later and still no official workaround, acknowledgement or fix on the horizon from the Parallels team only what the users have found

9. JPearn

JPearn Member

Add 20197 to the list of builds not working

10. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

Yes, it is all of the builds since 20175.1000
    See this Twitter thread for Parallels's response:
    https://twitter.com/InnovateSoftwar/status/1293967350442659842

Long term solution is to upgrade to Parallels Pro for Windows Insider builds to work now.

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Enabling nested virtualization helps in updating to latest Windows Insider build which is only available with Pro and Business subscription. As you are testing Windows beta versions as a professional using Pro is the right choice and will have more features compared to the standard edition.

12. JPearn

JPearn Member

I'm sorry but this should have no bearing on using (not testing) Windows 10 on Parallels. I will not be paying extra for a feature which allows me to install and run Windows as I have been for the last few years. There are workarounds which shows this is a bug within the software, not something we should be paying for. Very disappointed in this response.

13. TomJ3

TomJ3 Bit poster

Yep it worked!

14. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

I suspect it was intentionally removed. Parallels 14, which I downgraded to in order to test, does not have this issue. Suddenly, the fix for Parallels 15 is to upgrade to Pro in order to get the nested virtualization checkbox. Also, v15 worked for Insider builds up until this build.

Parallels seems to now remove functionality in order to charge more money by forcing upgrade to Pro. What other features are they potentially going to remove in order to do this?

15. JohnK29

JohnK29 Bit poster

Same issue; was stuck on Build 20167. Felt like I tried everything under the sun and was still unable to get past the Windows 10 logo screen after reboot.
    Found this thread, checked the box to "Enable Nested Virtualization" and install completed successfully! Now on Build 20197.

16. Geekdan

Geekdan Junior Member

Isn't this a bit of a ticking timebomb though? As soon as the insider builds move onto mainline it will affect all future windows versions starting with 21H1 right (or possibly earlier if something gets patched across into 20H2)?

17. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

It could just be they have a way of knowing what is a Preview build vs a general release build, and only keeping Previews from booting.
    It is DISHONEST to not publicly announce you are no longer supporting Previews and then turn around and demand upgrade to Pro to re-enable that functionality.
    Why not be forthright and honest, and allow the customer to decide what they will do?

18. carryb

carryb Bit poster

This is really awesome. It's looks very different. I think this is a new experience. Are you looking for non woven bag in Bangladesh to save our ecosystem? Carrybagbd will help you to achieve your goal.

19. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

You misstated that Parallels has removed the feature & ability to boot recent Windows Insider Preview builds. Preview builds WORKED FINE until build 20175 through NO FAULT of Microsoft. It is Parallels's FAULT.

You left out that within the same version (v15) Parallels has mysteriously not been able to install and boot these recent builds. It's no accident.

Why didn't Parallels do the HONEST thing and announce that starting with v16, the new release, that Preview builds would not be supported and you would have to upgrade to Pro. Instead they broke the software ON PURPOSE with NO ANNOUNCEMENT.

20. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

Can you explain why version 15.1.3 EXPLICITLY states that Windows Insider Preview IS supported, but 15.1.4 DOES NOT STATE THAT SUPPORT HAS BEEN REMOVED?
    Link: https://kb.parallels.com/124724

Version 15.1.4 (47270)
    This update for Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac 15.1.4 (47270) addresses overall stability and security issues, and includes the following fixes and improvements:

• Adds support for Ubuntu 19.10.
    • Adds support for Fedora 31.
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Tools failing to install in Fedora with kernel 5.5.8.
    • From now on, you can update Parallels Desktop without having to enter a password.
    Note: If you update Parallels Desktop from build 15.1.3 to this one, there's no need to update Parallels Tools.

Version 15.1.3 (47255)
    This update for Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac 15.1.3 (47255) addresses overall stability and security issues and includes the following fixes and improvements:

• Install and use Windows 10 Insider Preview 20H1 in a virtual machine.
    • Resolves an issue with the keyboard language in Windows 10 Insider Preview 20H1 not syncing with that in macOS and causing Microsoft Office apps to freeze or work slowly.
    • Resolves an issue of not being able to join the Windows Insider Program.
    • Resolves an issue of not being able to open guest OS files with host OS applications by dragging them from Windows 10 to macOS app icons in the Dock.
    • Resolves an issue with Bluetooth support which caused Windows-connected devices to stop working after a short period of inactivity.
    • Resolves an issue with right-click not working and Boot Camp Manager not opening after starting a Boot Camp virtual machine with Windows 10 in Parallels Desktop.
    • Resolves an issue of not being able to use Windows Remote Assistance (msra.exe) in Coherence.
    • Resolves an issue with shared smart card reader not accepting security PIN.
    • Resolves an issue with background virtual machines appearing in the foreground after starting a Windows application.
    • Resolves an issue with blurry text in Disco Elysium.
    • Install and use RHEL 8.1 in a virtual machine.