macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jamie7

Jamie7 Bit poster

I downloaded the VM Box Installer but just ran the uninstall tool. This fixed the perpetual reboot issue.

2. anic297

anic297 Member

So, in safe mode, I could install the Parallels Tools. But my original problem remains. I can start my BS VM with Parallels Tools installed only in safe mode (no other issue).

3. NathanielM1

NathanielM1 Bit poster

Had virtual box installed a while ago. This worked for me, still had some lingering files from it hanging it around. Thank you sir!

4. NevilleB1

NevilleB1 Bit poster

I've given up trying to convert my VM from VMWare to Parallels V16 - after converting the VM (without any errors reported), Parallels gets stuck at a black screen with just the Windows logo and sometimes with "Preparing Automatic Repair", even after multiple attempts to Stop or Reset the VM.
    Guess my money will now go to supporting VMWare rather than Parallels, even though the VMWare experience is not as great as Parallels, but at least it works.

5. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

Today, I tried the Virtual Box trick again. Downloaded Virtual Box, and chose ONLY TO UNINSTALL. This threw it in the security and I went to security and chose to allow to open anyways. Proceeded with "OK", then ran Parallels 16 and got the "Quit or Reboot" pop-up.
    I don't have Virtual Box Installed.
    I do the uninstall - it always sends it to security as untrusted, I allow it to run anyways. I click "OK" on the Virtual Box Uninstall but then nothing happens. I attempt to run Parallels 16 again and nothing.

6. Marc Hoffman

Marc Hoffman Member

I was able to get Big Sur to install by first removing the Parallels tools BEFORE upgrading my Catalina VM. I was then able to install the Parallels tools once the Big Sur installation completed.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. StuartM8

StuartM8 Bit poster

Here is how I installed Big Sur developer beta 4 under Parallels Desktop 16.0.0 with only minor shenanigans:
    1. Create a disposable Catalina VM.
    2. Register the Catalina VM in the developer beta program.
    3. Use Software Update to download the Big Sur beta installer.
    4. Cancel the installation of Big Sur.
    5. Copy the Install macOS Big Sur Beta application from the Catalina VM to the host computer.
    6. Create a new VM using the "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file" option.
    7. Select the Big Sur Beta installer on the host system as the installation image.
    Note that the resulting Big Sur VM will also be registered in the beta program.

8. StuartM8

StuartM8 Bit poster

Are Parallels Tools supposed to be working in a Big Sur developer beta 4 VM under Parallels 16.0.0? I can install them without error, but they don't seem to be effective. Switching my view to "Best for Retina Display" has no effect, the cursor remains jumpy, and in general the graphics are slow.

Since Big Sur is beta I'm not surprised that it's not working, but I'm wondering if this is a known problem or if there is a workaound.

9. TonyJ5

TonyJ5 Bit poster

I recently bought Parallels 15 for my MacBook Pro in June as a one-off purchase and now get the following message when I try to open Parallels after upgrading to Big Sur.
    Parallels Desktop cannot be started because some of the required components are missing from the operating system of your Mac.
    All advise seems to say upgrade to version 16.
    Is it correct that 15 won't open in Big Sur and is tied to Catalina?
    I don't want to have buy an update so soon after buying the software.

10. SalBrown

SalBrown Bit poster

I'm running Big Sur public beta as the host with Windows 10 in a VM on Parallels 16 for Mac.. getting random complete reboots of the Mac. Only seems to happen when Parallels is open. I wish I could diagnose it further but it's happening about every 15-30 minutes.

I know installing a beta on my day to day Mac was living a bit dangerously but this is pushing it...

11. JARVIS1187

JARVIS1187 Bit poster

After fighting with this bug for about 4 hours, I found that answer here and it worked instantly! THANK YOU! :)

12. Jamesnp

Jamesnp Bit poster

After updating to Beta 5 Parallels is causing a panic on boot. The only way I've been after to get my mac started is by booting into Safe Mode and deleting the Parallels app. Anyone else having similar issues?

TommyW1 likes this.
  13. ColbyC

ColbyC Bit poster

@Jamesnp I am having the same issue.

Jamesnp likes this.
  14. EvanR

EvanR Bit poster

Issue is related to Parallels hypervisor kext. You can switch to the Apple hypervisor under "Hardware - > CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings" of your VM's settings, works for now until Parallels can fix it with an update.

15. LouieT

LouieT Bit poster

This worked for me. Thanks!

16. E__1

E__1 Bit poster

I can't use Internet on my visual Windows, because Parallel Desktop 16 shows "Network initialization failed" when I start my Windows 10
    SO SAD

17. Jamesnp

Jamesnp Bit poster

Problem for me was that I had the VM set to always be ready, so I couldn't get into the settings to change them. By setting the VM's permissions to 0700 for root, I managed to get in and change the hypervisor - all good now. Thanks!

Might be an idea to have a "safe mode" for Parallels, where the autostart is temporarily disabled.

-jp

18. Waldilein

Waldilein Bit poster

In my case, after I changed to Parallels and tryed to start, only the "Waiting weehl" starts and after a view seconds the hole system freeze. Any Idea?
    Thx
    Carsten

19. MikeF8

MikeF8 Bit poster

Oh geez after all the hassles now the Mac running 11.0 Beta (20A5354i) just crashes completely each time I try to open parallels, any solution for this?

-Mike