macOS guest Metal acceleration for macOS 10.14 and before

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by JasonL11, May 26, 2020.

1. JasonL11

JasonL11 Bit poster

With release of macOS Catalina, and its removal of 32-bit application support, a number of users are looking for ways to play their 32-bit, 3D games on their Macs. One solution would be to run Mojave or High Sierra in a Parallels VM, but unfortunately, Parallels does not appear to virtualize 3D hardware and support Metal like it does with Windows and DirectX.

Can this support be added to Parallels for macOS clients running in VMs?

MatthewR20, NickB18 and AlessandroDN like this.
  2. viola

viola Hunter

Now that GPU Metal acceleration is possible in Big Sur with Parallels 16, that same performance is NECESSARY for macOS 10.14 and below. Many of us use Parallels for the purpose of 32 bit application support and need earlier versions of macOS to do real work. Please expand this support with such functionality or drivers. Now that we have seen efforts in the Hackintosh community to build native drivers we see that this kind of work is possible with virtual machines needing GPU acceleration. If you don't want to support such an effort, please open source it and invite the community to get involved.

3. nuamad

nuamad Bit poster

So, starting with Catalina Apple cuts the Collections and Moments feature of Photos. Also drops 32bit support.

What do you do, other than frustrating dual boot? Oh, a virtual machine, who would have thought of that?! But wait, virtual machine makers don't seem to care to fill up this marketing space created by Apple...

4. nuamad

nuamad Bit poster

Since I'm not allowed to edit my comment, I'd like to also add this:

How ironically to mention "a number of issues that were reported in 2018-2020" in the KB125053 (so... 2018, when there was no Big Sur!) and then only release Big Sur support for Metal as vm...!

5. nuamad

nuamad Bit poster

oh never mind. this is not parallels-specific; all virtualisation vendors have their hands tied, as apple only provides AppleParavirtGPU.kext for Big Sur.