Parallels 16 - VM problem with AVFoundation and AVKit

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by oztrev, Aug 18, 2020.

1. oztrev

oztrev Member

I wrote a few test applications in Lazarus/Free Pascal and Swift. One uses AVPlayer (Swift), one uses AVMidi (one version is written in Lazarus/Free Pascal and a second version is written in Swift). None of them work normally in a Parallels VM of Mojave or Catalina.

The AVPlayer application comes up with a crossed out play symbol - it fails to download the streaming audio video test file from Apple. This application is the basic video player written in Swift -- code provided by Apple at: https://developer.apple.com/documen...ing_a_basic_video_player_macos?language=swift

The AVMidi applications both exhibit the same problem - the first second of the midi file plays and then the player stops. If I repeatedly hit the play button it will eventually play normally, but if I pause it and try to resume, the same problem recurs along with a lot of distortion.

All these applications work perfectly on bare metal in Mojave and Catalina.

2. oztrev

oztrev Member

Technical Support suggested downgrading to PD15. The first thing that happened after doing that was that PD15 could not detect any sound devices. I had to use an external USB speaker, which was detected, to regain sound output.

However, doing this did enable the two AVMidi applications to work normally.

Unfortunately downgrading to PD15 did not help with the AVPlayer application which continued to apparently be unable to download the streaming audio/video file from the Apple servers.

3. oztrev

oztrev Member

The AVPlayer issue is because PD does not support 3D acceleration in Mojave or Catalina guests. It does in Big Sur beta guests (with a Mojave host).