Parallels 16 on Big Sur Beta 5 Crashes Computer

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JamesB34, Aug 19, 2020.

1. NickM8

NickM8 Bit poster

I am also having the Windows 10 crash issue with latest 10.11 beta. How do I switch to Apple hypervisor?

2. darren3

darren3 Member

The issue I had with Windows freezing when switched to Apple Hypervisor was that Teams would open and then freeze, I read in another post that this was occurring due to accessing the camera, but this was related to an iMac (I'm not using an iMac). Anyway, I disabled camera, booted and freeze occurred, I "paused" and then "resumed" and was able to quite Teams and everything seems to be ok (an hour and still working). It does seem a little sluggish though.

3. darren3

darren3 Member

Reboot and stopped working again

4. tyz

tyz Bit poster

I have the same questions。

5. VladimirH1

VladimirH1 Bit poster

In VM open Configuration. In Hardware tab select CPU & Memory. Open Advanced Settings and Hypersisor Combobox appear.

6. ChinY1

ChinY1 Bit poster

Same Problem. Just upgrade to Big Sur Beta 5 on my iMac (2017). System crashes, screen went black and restarted.

KeithW7 likes this.
  7. HeitorS

HeitorS Bit poster

Big Sur Beta 5 is crashing under OTHER circumstances. I have not run Parallels and it is crashing within 30 seconds of logging in. Safe mode is the only way to keep it running

8. NickM8

NickM8 Bit poster

Thank you for the response. I tried but get yellow bar "To be able to change settings on this page, resume the vm then shut down" problem is when I resume it crashes the system. Any possible work arounds I might try? thanks!

mafoe likes this.
  9. BrianK12

BrianK12 Junior Member

Same for me and I can't change the settings as it wants me to start the Windows 10 VM and shut it down properly. Unfortunately, I can't open it to shut it down.

10. PeterB47

PeterB47 Bit poster

I have the identical problem as JamesB34 describes. Was working fine on Beta 4, updated to Beta 5 and Parallels crashes the Mac (MacBook Pro 15", 2017) when opening a VM. For some reason, Parallels does not recommend using the version in the Apple Store if you have the version downloaded from them.
    This could be a problem with Big Sur, not Parallels. Excel also crashes when opening files.

11. mafoe

mafoe Bit poster

Thank you, this works for me, you made it! Cheers!

12. RobertT4

RobertT4 Bit poster

Working for me after the above suggestion but have no Internet in VM.

13. GeorgS7

GeorgS7 Bit poster

To change the Hypervisor to Apple was a bit tricky ...
    As my VM was in suspended state and furthermore obviously in autostart mode, I never got the opportunity to stop it in the actions menu, not to mention any chance to switch to the Apple hypervisor before the system crashed ...

My workaround:
    I installed the Appstore version, shut down the VM, switched off the autostart mode (which I never deliberately activated) and then installed PD16 again. Now PD is back to work without any speed issue as far I've noticed up to now. At least in such way we've won some time until Apple/Parallels will release a bugfix.

14. PeterB47

PeterB47 Bit poster

My VM was also suspended. I also couldn't change from the Parallel's Hypervisor to Apple, as I needed to start the VM to make configuration changes, and my Mac crashed the moment I tried to start the VM. Customer support gave me the following method to change the Hypervisor type without starting the VM, which worked and allowed me to use Parallels 16.0 on Big Sur 5.

1. Locate the virtual machine's file as described in this article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/117333
    2. Right-click on it > Show Package contents.
    3. Inside you will see a config.pvs. Right-click config.pvs > Open with TextEdit.
    4. Inside of it find (CMD+F) the following part:
    <HypervisorType>0</HypervisorType>
    and change it to
    <HypervisorType>1</HypervisorType>
    Save the changes.
    5. Run Parallels Desktop. Run the virtual machine. If prompted to reset the virtual machine, do it.

gresmi, MarkV5 and GeorgS7 like this.
  15. GeorgS7

GeorgS7 Bit poster

:) That for sure much easier, many thanks!

16. MarkV5

MarkV5 Bit poster

This worked for me. My VM was suspended so previously mentioned solutions did not work. Yours worked like a charm. Tx.

17. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Bit poster

Same issue as everyone else. Kernel panic 100% of the time, solved by switching from Parallels to Apple hypervisor. I don't know what that means, but it works now.

18. RussP2

RussP2 Bit poster

19. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

20. PietN

PietN Bit poster

The solution worked for me as well but also not able to get Internet access in the VM.
    Any workaround for this. I did reinstall PT.