macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Waldilein

Waldilein Bit poster

Maybee it depends on the size of the RAM, I'm using 40GB.

2. ClausK3

ClausK3 Bit poster

Please, see the solution in this thread:
    The Issue is related to Parallels hypervisor kext. You can switch to the Apple hypervisor under "Hardware - > CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings" of your VM's settings, works for now until Parallels can fix it with an update.

DavidV15 and DavidG6 like this.
  3. Waldilein

Waldilein Bit poster

Hi Mike, any Idea if this not works? I tried and my VM shows only then waiting circle an then the make freeze. If choose Parallels at the Hypervisor, my iMac is crashing emidiatly, so the behavior is different, but not working )):

4. JamesC42

JamesC42 Bit poster

I tried this with a Linux VM and it works. Unfortunately I had a Windows VM that was suspended (not shut down) when I ran the update for Beta 5. Is there anyway to force power off state on a suspended VM so I can make the configuration change? Not worried about data loss - its a test machine.

5. HobertB

HobertB Bit poster

New issue, when I upgraded to Big Sur Beta 5 everytime I try to load one of the VM's my Mac crashes. EVERYTIME.
    Need Help

6. GerryT

GerryT Bit poster

Thank you so much for this. I can tell you for Big Sur Beta 5 and Parallels Desktop 16, this works!

7. JiananL

JiananL Bit poster

Remove the VM from PD, then add it back in. The VM should show up in its own window, then you can go into the menu and stop the VW.

8. OAW

OAW Junior Member

If you are on the VM preferences dialog and these settings are disabled because the VM is suspended then just select the Actions-Stop menu. That will force the VM to shutdown and allow you to make this change. Worked like a charm for me!

Jeremie1 likes this.
  9. AndyW6

AndyW6 Bit poster

This worked for me, too. Many thanks!

10. PaulW17

PaulW17 Bit poster

Great that this works, but its anyone else having atrocious performance with the Apple Hypervisor? Windows 10 barely boots and logging in is next to impossible. It won't use more than 10-15% CPU.

11. Marcd12

Marcd12 Bit poster

It works indeed but the guests systems run significantly slower. I hope the fix can come pretty soon.

12. JesseC3

JesseC3 Bit poster

Same here, actually I updated BS on Wednesday and yesterday Parallels was working fine, I launched it today and exactly the same thing, Mac crashes :S

13. CharlesC11

CharlesC11 Bit poster

Had the same issue... after changing to "Apple" hypervisor under hardware my windows now boots without causing a crash... thanks EvanR for the work-a-round

14. Alpha7

Alpha7 Junior Member

Network is dead after upgrading to Big Sur beta5. I have tried almost every option in network setup page

15. DavidV15

DavidV15 Bit poster

indeed, this solved the issue. I had instant crashes when booting Win10 Pro. Solved for now....

16. JohnB73

JohnB73 Bit poster

I crash after a few minutes upon signing in to my computer, after upgrading to Big Sur 20A5354i. I do not have to try to open a VM. I deleted Parallels, thinking that would solve the issue, but it still is affecting my machine.

17. darren3

darren3 Member

I found some network issues, I added a manual dns in preferences (on macos) and it seemed to work

18. DavidG6

DavidG6 Bit poster

I'm not sure why, but as soon as I changed to Apple hypervisor my VM does work but very often it hangs, or works slowly - it becomes unresponsive. This is not a workable solution! - Using public Beta 2 20A5354i

19. John Denman

John Denman Bit poster

How can I make this change when the computer crashes before Parallels can load?

20. DavidG6

DavidG6 Bit poster

It might be that you have parallels set up to start in the background when computer starts, and start a VM also when parallel starts, and if that's the case, you are going to be stuck :(