Parallels Desktop 16 still won't start on macOS Big Sur Public Beta 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrzysztofO, Aug 11, 2020.

1. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

Yep, still the same story here with me on Beta 5

2. BarryR1

BarryR1 Bit poster

I am also having the same issue, Mac crashes and reboots.
    I did have it working on beta 4

3. CHrisTheBiPolarBear

CHrisTheBiPolarBear Junior Member

You have to change the hypervisor so it's set to Apple not parallels. Found I advanced stings of cpu and memory in the configuration of each virtual machine. If it's set to parallels the whole system will crash

EricT14 likes this.
  4. EricT14

EricT14 Bit poster

THANK YOU. This fixed it for me.
    To do this, start up Parallels, click the cog on your VM and make sure this setting in yellow is set to Apple not the default of Parallels, otherwise you get a kernel panic:
    [​IMG]

KamilK4 likes this.
  5. BigPecan

BigPecan Bit poster

Could you explain how to do this? I am not sure how to switch that to correct it.

6. BigPecan

BigPecan Bit poster

Ok I found it. that resolved my crashing issue. thank you

7. AndrewM11

AndrewM11 Bit poster

Confirmed it worked for me as well - had to force STOP the windows that was suspended of course to be able to change the hypervisor, but once I did that and made the change it boots.

8. KrzysztofO

KrzysztofO Junior Member

A very nice engineer from Parallels did exactly that for me too and now I'm again able to use my VMs albeit they are a little slower on Apple hypervisor than they used to be on Parallels. But that one is crashing the Mac altogether. I was advised to wait for the fix as Parallels developers are investigating the issue.
    Thank you everyone.

9. BarryR1

BarryR1 Bit poster

Great, would love to try this fix and see if it can all run again.
    But, how do I stop windows from booting automatically in parallels, and getting to the settings before the whole thing reboots?

JesseR5 likes this.
  10. JesseR5

JesseR5 Bit poster

I second this. Once I launch Parallels, it locks up immediately. This occurred in Safe Mode as well.

11. BarryR1

BarryR1 Bit poster

So got some info from support after spending a lot of time on the phone with them yesterday.
    But after following instructions to modify the config.pvs file, it still doesn't work.
    Firstly I could not modify the file directly as explained in email, had to copy it, modify it and replace it back into the VM, but then the Mac doesn't restart, but windows will not boot. The mod was to change the hypervisor setting.
    Expecting another call today and lets hope we can solve it.

12. Hello,
    This issue has been escalated to the Parallels Engineering Team.
    They are currently works on the resolution, but unfortunately do not share any ETA
    Once we get any updates or workaround from them we will let you know.

JesseR5 likes this.
  13. BarryR1

BarryR1 Bit poster

Yes, that's great. The parallels teams has been doing a great job! I am expecting a call in about 15 mins.

14. JeoiL

JeoiL Bit poster

same issue here, tech report ID: 347993476
    thanks!

15. JamesW16

JamesW16 Bit poster

OK for those of you who like me were totally shall we say screwed. I found a way to get the VM to start without crashing my MAC. Do not start parallels. Open the package and find the file config.pvs. Open it with Text edit or what ever editor you prefer. Locate the line <HypervisorType>0</HypervisorType>. Change the zero to a 1. This is the same as going into the config which I could never get to to apple. Hope this helps!!!

16. BarryR1

BarryR1 Bit poster

Yes, this exactly what was done by parallels support team and also explained to me, but;
    on my machine I could not edit the config file, not sure why but the support guy fixed that though the terminal. after that we modified the config file as you describe and copied the VM back to my machine from external HD.
    I started it this morning and VM is working 100%

17. HJG.D2

HJG.D2 Bit poster

I don't have a config.pvs file in the contents package-- perhaps because the software was not properly installed in the first place. I am still being asked to restart my Mac. to complete the installation process. Called Parallels Support, and a guy from India tried almost everything that was suggested in this forum. No success, though. I am now waiting for a reply from level 2 support. I am pretty frustrated.

18. JamesW16

JamesW16 Bit poster

I had the same problem this worked for me:

On the first page of this thread is a post from 'cybermice' on how to do the install of 15. Remove parallels 16 then follow his instructions to install version 15. Once you have 15 running do the install of 16. This worked for me. Your millage may vary.

19. andyG9

andyG9 Bit poster

I'm in a similar loop with the Public Beta of Big Sur. I only put Big Sur on my 2019 imac as Parallels V 16 was touted as being viable.I have done the things requested from me by support, but to no avali. Latest instructions were here:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I request to follow the steps from this article and check if it resolves the issue.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/some-third-party-storage-drivers-may-cause-hardware-misbehavior

If the issue persist, I request you to open terminal on the Mac and execute the following command
    prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone
    and reply to this email with the 9 digit code so that we can escalate this issue further.

Have great day.

Thanks,
    Prabhakaran Muthukrishnan
    Customer Support

Generated a 9 digit code for them and sent it over, but no idea where the report it actually generated is stored!

I'd imagine there's a lot of running round in the background to get this sorted by Parallels. They must have felt V16 was pretty robust before they released it, but clearly, once in the wild its all gone wonky!

20. HJG.D2

HJG.D2 Bit poster

I tried that twice. The install fails because "some necessary components are missing" in my operating system (translated from German).