Windows guest display via RDP mangled after upgrade to Parallels Desktop 16

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rlhamil, Aug 19, 2020.

1. rlhamil

rlhamil Junior Member

Windows 10 client with guest extensions installed on Parallels 16 on either Catalina or Mojave. Under prior Parallels version(s), accessing those Windows clients with the Microsoft RDP client app worked fine. Now (no manual changes to VM settings) the RDP displays are very scrambled; lagging window updates or wrong colors or multiple copies of a window on the screen at the same time. Pretty much unusable.

The VM console display is still fine, and for a VM on the local desktop, that's ok; but for a VM on another Mac, one ends up using VNC to access the other Mac, and then the VM console display there, which is not as good as an RDP client talking directly to the guest Windows OS (which remotes audio as well as video, and handles screen updates better).

2. Sanderd1

Sanderd1 Bit poster

I can confirm the same issue. After upgrading to version 16 the Windows screen get's distorted when you move the mouse over the various windows in f.e. Outlook. Using Microsoft RDP on MAC, but also Parallels Client has the same issue. When I remote connect to the VM using TeamViewer it is OK.

3. GregP8

GregP8 Bit poster

I am having the same issue using RDP for mac 10.4.0. The Mac with RDP client has a larger resolution screen so I am not sure if it is the larger resolution that causes it. But it for sure happened minutes after upgrading to Parallels 16. Completely unusable and super important to get fixed asap as we need to be able to use RDP to these clients.

4. Sanderd1

Sanderd1 Bit poster

I have uninstalled the parallels tools software in the windows 10 virtual machine (for now until it is fixed permanently) and it resolved the issue.

TomE4 likes this.
  5. rlhamil

rlhamil Junior Member

One of my Windows 10 VMs is on Mojave+Parallels 16 on a Mac Mini connected to an inexpensive 1920x1200 display; the system I'm sitting at is a 16" MacBook Pro running Catalina, with a MUCH higher native resolution. My other Windows 10 VM is on the MacBook Pro itself; when RDP worked, it was just easier to RDP to those two plus one dedicated Windows 10 laptop to do updates, rather than doing one with the Parallels console and the other two via RDP. In the case of the local VM, pretty sure resolution is irrelevant ;), but the problem still happens there when accessing via RDP.

6. rlhamil

rlhamil Junior Member

Great observation, specific enough that maybe something can be done relatively soon! Has anyone actually filed a bug report? (I haven't) No idea whether these forums are monitored enough that they've seen this thread.

7. TomE4

TomE4 Bit poster

Same issue and solved with uninstallation of the parallel tools. I hope it will be solved in an update of the parallel tools.

8. GregE4

GregE4 Bit poster

For just fixing the RDP problem, it looks like switching only the video driver (Display Adapters in Device Manager) from the Parallels version to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" will fix the issue.

TomE4 likes this.
  9. TomE4

TomE4 Bit poster

Yes, that works. Open Device Manager in Windows and select previous driver, You may give a reason. Then the former driver "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter will be used. Thank You GregE4.

10. PeterH35

PeterH35 Bit poster

Same issue. Windows 10 VM on iMac with Parallels 16. Client is another iMac via Microsoft RDP 10.4.0. Windows 10 sessions are unusable due to graphics and color shifting. Appeared after latest Parallels 16 update.

11. Hello, could you please provide us with the screenshot of the issue (if possible) and collect the tech report once the issue reproduced.
    Please post the report's ID here.

12. Dr.Z

Dr.Z Bit poster

Same problem with real vnc.

13. rlhamil

rlhamil Junior Member

16.0.1 (with corresponding guest tools installed/updated) took care of this for me, on both Mojave and Catalina hosts.
    Thanks!

14. Hello guys,
    We're still looking forward to your reply.
    Please contact us at your earliest convenience.
    Thank you for your time.

15. rlhamil

rlhamil Junior Member

16.0.1 took care of the problem of mangled screens over RDP; so, having updated to 16.0.1, a report won't show it.

With 16.0.1 one Mojave system, but NOT a Catalina system which is fine, I am seeing Windows updates just spin, an added service (XymonPSclient) not send the status that it's supposed to send, and shutdowns just hang, if and only if the Parallels tools are installed on that guest; all that happens on either console or via RDP session; and all the problems go away if Parallels tools on the guest are uninstalled. Since that one is on a Mac Mini that nobody ever sits at, it was easier to just uninstall the Parallels tools (after using msconfig to get to something like a safe mode boot, otherwise the uninstall also hung). At this point I'm disinclined to reinstall the tools simply to recreate that NEW problem and be able to generate a report. Still, it suggests that something odd still may be going on with the guest-side tools (or what they communicate with), depending maybe on the OS. Given such a small sample, I wouldn't even count on that, I think that one is running a Windows beta anyway, and it hasn't been always treated gently, so there may not be anything actually wrong, and there's simply no way I'm re-installing Windows to prove whether it's the tools or something else. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have it work, but if it takes me more than five minutes, I'm not the diagnostic lab.