Time Machine and Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by edblanton, Nov 1, 2007.

1. edblanton

edblanton Junior Member

Am reading that I should exclude the VM from Time Machine in Leopard. Just how does one do that? Help!

2. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Parallels - This would be a great help to know the answer to this qustion as I am sure there are 100's if not 1000's who are using Time Machine. Although for the life of me I can't think of why you would exclude it.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Time machine does not do diff's.

If time machine would make another copy of the VM file(20GB for mine...) every time any part of it changes. This would quickly fill the backup drive, leaving less space for other backups.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

As unused_user_name said, Parallels does not support tracking changes only (think snapshot) through Time Machine, and therefore with 20GB with 8 back-ups a day (assuming an 8-hour workday, with back-ups every hour, with you using Parallels the whole day), you could have a terabyte of back-ups from Parallels alone in a little over a week. Not fun.

As to excluding Parallels from TimeMachine, rtfm, or click the obvious option.

5. edblanton

edblanton Junior Member

I think I understand why I don't want Time Machine to back up VM. What I don't know is which file(s?) to exclude in the Time Machine options/exclude menu.

6. AlanH

AlanH Pro

The one in your VM folder with .hdd on the end of its name. It's the only big one in there - pretty obvious, really.

7. edblanton

edblanton Junior Member

More obvious for some than others. Thanks for your help, I think I have it now.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Ed,

Glad things are working...

Alan's point was that if you understood the principle it would be obvious what to back up...