Chrome doesn't work on Ubuntu 20.04 after upgrade

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by aspen63, Aug 31, 2020.

1. aspen63

aspen63 Member

After upgrade Chrome 85.0.4183.83-1 just shows black screen with white box in upper right part of the screen? This problem occurs on two of my Macs with Catalina host and PD16. Reinstalling doesn't help. Am I alone to have this problem?

jinbeomh likes this.
  2. aspen63

aspen63 Member

Update: It works when I switch 3D hardware acceleration off.

jinbeomh likes this.
  3. Same for me under Lubuntu. Chromium browser works! Rather use Google Chrome.

4. SylvainL1

SylvainL1 Bit poster

Have the same problem too. PopOS 20.04 or Ubuntu 20.04 with the latest version of Chrome 85.0.4183.83 on Parallels 16 latest build.
    Restarted Macbook Pro 16" on Windows 10 / BootCamp, open VMware Workstation 15.5.6 and installed PopOS 20.04 and Ubuntu 20.04 then Chrome on both without any problems.

5. jinbeomh

jinbeomh Bit poster

Same for me, and @aspen63 's workaround works.
    My system information : Parallels 16 standard edition, Ubuntu 20.04, Chrome 85.0.4183.121 64bit.

6. Ryan2000

Ryan2000 Bit poster

Also having this problem with Chrome Ubuntu 20.04 Parallels 16. Turning off 3D acceleration works but makes the rest of the OS perform badly, so switching to Firefox for now I guess?

7. Mikumi

Mikumi Bit poster

I'm also having this issue. On top of that the whole XFCE is broken and only showing a white screen when 3D acceleration is enabled. And Ubuntu 16.04 shows black boxes around UI windows instead of shadows.

I submitted a technical report, ID 352397602.

Is this something we can expect to be fixed in an upcoming update? One of Parallels 16 killer features is really good 3D acceleration not only on Windows but also MacOS and Linux. It's a shame it's currently not usable on the latter.

8. robert34

robert34 Bit poster

Same issue here. I have bought an upgrade specifically having in mind Linux v16 support. Disappointing.

9. ZHEZ

ZHEZ Bit poster

Hi guys, I just found a workaround of this issue.
    you need to turn off 3D acceleration first, then start Ubuntu 20, opens Chrome fo to "Setting" -> "Advanced" -> turn off "use hardware acceleration when available" under "System" section.
    after the relaunch, you can shutoff your vm, turn 3D acceleration back on, and use ubuntu as normal.

I am not expert on this matter so I am not too sure why this hardware acceleration function cause chrome to crash under parallels 16, nor do I aware of any difference when using chrome without hardware acceleration at the moment... just here to share what is working for me

10. aspen63

aspen63 Member

Has somebody tried Chrome 86 with acceleration on?