Parallels not running at all on Big Sur

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tattar8sp, Jun 24, 2020.

1. darren3

darren3 Member

My experience is that it only works for a short period of time and then locks up or pauses, its especially bad with some applications like MS Teams

2. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

You are spot on with some things being slow, like Teams. I am a member of two Teams, and since it sucks for switching, I keep one on Windows and one on Mac OS. The Windows Teams version runs horribly. Also, my network access is 1/10 the speed of native Mac OS at the same time. There are definite networking issues. I believe the networking issues are Parallels 16 related, not hypervisor. Others are having networking issues with 16. I want to go back to 15, but I need to clear all install files to do that.

3. TamH

TamH Bit poster

My Big Sur 11.0 Beta(20A5364e)crashes every time when starting up Win 10 PRO on Parallel 16. Waiting for updates.

4. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

Read my earlier post, and you will see how to change to the Apple hypervisor. It is not perfect, but it will get you up and running.

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We suggest you change the hypervisor to Apple under VM configuration > Hardware > CPU & Memory> Advanced > Hypervisor > Apple then check if you are able to use the virtual machine.

TamH likes this.
  6. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

That is best if Parallels would even load up without causing a hard reboot, but in most cases it won't load. The computer immediately reboots. Therefore, I suggested editing the config.pvs file for those who cannot get Parallels to even load, like me.

Locate the virtual machine's file as described in this article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/117333
    (It is usually in your user folder under Parallels folder)
    2. Right-click on it > Show Package contents.
    3. Inside you will see a config.pvs. Right-click config.pvs > Open with TextEdit.
    4. Inside of it find (CMD+F) the following part:
    <HypervisorType>0</HypervisorType>
    and change it to
    <HypervisorType>1</HypervisorType>
    Save the changes.
    5. Run Parallels Desktop. Run the virtual machine. If prompted to reset the virtual machine, do it.

TamH likes this.
  7. TamH

TamH Bit poster

Wow~ It works now, but don't know why the CPU usage keep 100% in VM. Anyway, thank you so much.

8. Manuel9

Manuel9 Bit poster

This worked for me.

9. RickK1

RickK1 Member

Regrettably when I tried to install VirtualBox, it failed right at the end when it was validating packages (even when I attempted to install immediately after a reboot). I am running Big Sur Beta 10 (20A5395g).

10. AlanG10

AlanG10 Bit poster

I'm running Big Sur Beta. It's working really well. It did take a support phone call where I learnt a lot. Key things were to now stop using Apple Hypervisor, and then we allocated a large chunk of my ram. 8 out of my 32! This seemed to solve all my issues

11. RickK1

RickK1 Member

I appreciate the note - thanks. However, since I cannot get Parallels installed completely, I can't get to the point where I can specify the Hypervisor. When I launch Parallels, I get the "Restart Mac" pop-up within a couple of seconds, and the VM never actually gets opened.

12. Hello, could you please take a screenshot of the error message and share it with us?