Shared folder permissions problems after Parallels 16 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndreiB2, Aug 24, 2020.

1. AndreiB2

AndreiB2 Bit poster

I have this problem after 16 upgrade. Host Mac OS Catalina, Guest Windows 10 Pro ver 2004 build 19041.450. Visual Studio 2019.
    Could you advise how to fix it?
    upload_2020-8-24_14-34-32.png

MarcelloR likes this.
  2. yong-kwankim

yong-kwankim Bit poster

It's my problem too...
    and...
    after 16 upgrade..
    in visual studio 2019 asp net core + entity framework
    new scaffolded item is error!!!
    I guess it's same problem...

3. Hello, did you check this?

4. AndreiB2

AndreiB2 Bit poster

When I tried the first suggestion, VS restarted under admin and there weren't shared folders available.
    Third one, VS started under my current user but shared folder weren't available either.
    Problem that some post build steps failed on external commands (xcopy, etc) with an access denied error. Particularly they can't delete folder. But if I delete it manually they will succeed.
    May be in 16 version was made changes in area of shared folder possession or in area of inheritance of host (Mac) OS users's permissions?

5. StephenB18

StephenB18 Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. Everything was working fine and tried upgrade to 16 to get "better performance and disk management". Boy was I suckered in. Anyway I can't run VS as admin because that screws up user mappings and such needed for my application. This all worked fine before the update to 16.

MarcelloR likes this.
  6. SamuelC5

SamuelC5 Bit poster

I have the same problem. All worked fine before the update to 16. How can we fix the problem?

MarcelloR likes this.
  7. Are you running 15 or any previous Parallels Desktop version?

8. Hey, could you collect the tech report please (please create it once the issue reproduced) and post the report's ID here?

9. EricT15

EricT15 Bit poster

I downgraded to 15 since the suggested steps (uninstall/retinstall tools) to resolve this did nothing. The downgrade to 15 made it work again so I'm not upgrading to 16 at this point.

MarcelloR likes this.
  10. MichaelG45

MichaelG45 Bit poster

I have the exact same issue after upgrading to 16. All my Visual Studio projects, which I ran from a shared folder on my Mac, have permission issues. I get the 'elevated permissions' message as mentioned above but, no matter which option I choose, the project can't run any tasks because of permissions issues and 'UNC paths not supported'. Very frustrating!

MarcelloR likes this.
  11. AndreiB2

AndreiB2 Bit poster

I don't understand the question.
    Simultaneously 16 and 15 - no. I even don't know that I can.

12. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

Im seeing the same message when running VS2019 (if not run as admin) if the project/solution being opened is on a drive shared by parallels. In addition since the upgrade any attempt to use XCOPY e.g. xcopy /e / y src/* dst where both src and dst are on a drive mapped to a parallels shared folder (in my case on a removable raid array "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)") will only succeed if the destination directory is completely empty and does not contain subdirectories. If subdirs exist in the destination then XCOPY fails and outputs the messages:

Access denied
    Unable to create directory dst/somesubfolderunderdst

Now looking at the XCOPY process in detail using sysinternals ProcMon you can see some interesting output which indicates that the error message being output are truly very misleading. The question is - is there a new bug in Parallels V16 (maybe 15 - not sure)? Since upgrading parallels all my automated builds stopped working correctly. Prior to the upgrade all was ok. I have checked this in a (latest) Win10 VM and also in a Win7 SP1 one. I strongly suspect a new parallels issue exists here. I would suggest to your development/testing team to try using xcopy to copy a directory tree over an existing one and repeat in regression with an earlier parallels version.

For now I have worked around the issue by using robocopy instead but something smells very bad here!

MarcelloR likes this.
  13. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

OK I have investigated the further. On a laptop with an older version of Parallels I created a folder structure as follows:

src
    folder1
    file1

(and an initially empty folder named dst)
    Then

xcopy /e /y src\* dst

On the second copy attempt folder1 will already exist in dst (and due to the bug may fail if on an external drive)
    I repeated this with the src and dst folders located on:

Parallels10 C: drive (under Users\MyUserName) result PASS
    Parallels10 X: drive (mapped to /Users/MyUserName/Downloads) result PASS

Parallels16 C: drive (under Users\MyUserName) result PASS
    Parallels16 X: drive (mapped to /Users/MyUserName/Downloads) result FAIL **

X:\Downloads\foo>xcopy /e /y src\* dst
    Access denied
    Unable to create directory - X:\Downloads\foo\dst\folder1
    0 File(s) copied

The observation of this bug is clear.
    Versions Tested: 10.3.0 (29227) NO ISSUES!
    Versions Tested: 16.0.1 (48919) BIG PROBLEMS
    The issue occurs regardless of windows version 7, 8, and 10 tested
    Issue only occurs on drives mapped to Mac or to removable drives and not on the C: drive of the VM
    I won't detail the procmon output which is something your devs may like to take a look at.

I'm confirming that this is a BUG in the latest versions of Parallels and will be reporting it as such.

MarcelloR and AndreiB2 like this.
  14. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

Addendum to last report.
    I have submitted a ticket and will await.

Regarding the cause of the issue...
    It's certainly not completely straightforward but there are subtle differences in the ProcMon traces between the successful and unsuccessful runs. I'll not attempt to interpret these logs! I imagine ... This might not be an easy fix - personally I'd want to run xcopy under the debugger (with its Microsoft source code!!!).

MarcelloR likes this.
  15. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

Maybe not so bad. If your devs take a look and compare failing and successful Procmon logs you will see in the xcopy trace that there is a call to CreateFile (to create the copied folder in the destination|). In the successful case CreateFile simply succeeds. In the failing case we see the result IS DIRECTORY instead which seems to prompt xcopy to try 2 further (slightly different CreateFile calls) which also return IS DIRECTORY. At this point XCOPY gives up.

16. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

AND Here you go... the difference is...

UNDER PARALLELS 10 Result is Success

High Resolution Date & Time: 11/09/2020 16:32:01.7988249
    Event Class: File System
    Operation: CreateFile
    Result: SUCCESS
    Path: \\psf\home\Downloads\foo\dst\folder1
    TID: 5148
    Duration: 0.0014812
    Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Write Data/Add File, Write EA, Read Attributes, Write Attributes, Delete, Synchronize
    Disposition: OpenIf
    Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert
    Attributes: D
    ShareMode: None
    AllocationSize: 0
    OpenResult: Opened

UNDER PARALLELS 16 Result is "IS DIRECTORY" but should be "SUCCESS"
    Effectively CreateFile (for an existing directory) FAILS. This is likely to impact a lot more than XCOPY!!!!
    I WOULD CONSIDER THIS TO BE QUITE POSSIBLY A CRITICAL ISSUE!

High Resolution Date & Time: 11/09/2020 16:06:46.5264840
    Event Class: File System
    Operation: CreateFile
    Result: IS DIRECTORY
    Path: \\Mac\home\Downloads\foo\dst\folder1
    TID: 12040
    Duration: 0.0001192
    Desired Access: Generic Read, Write Data/Add File, Write EA, Write Attributes, Delete, Write DAC
    Disposition: OpenIf
    Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert
    Attributes: D
    ShareMode: None
    AllocationSize: 0

Good luck!

17. HamishA

HamishA Bit poster

I am having this issue too and it is making Parallels unusable.

MarcelloR likes this.
  18. ChristopherM14

ChristopherM14 Bit poster

I am having an issue that seems to be related. It is definitely permissions based. My virtual machine configuration is Windows 10 2004, Microsoft 365 software.
    I have multiple backup Outlook .pst files that I need to open in MS Outlook (now called Microsoft 365). Before upgrading to Parallels 16 they worked perfectly but now Outlook says I do not have permissions to open the file(s). The only viable solution appears to be a downgrade to the Parallels 15 VM until a fix is deployed.

Parallel staff, any idea when this might be?

MarcelloR likes this.
  19. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

I have already opened a ticket with Parallels and provided a test case which only fails in Parallels Desktop 16 (fine in 15 and before). I have provided detailed tech info regarding the issue but whether or not this has reached their dev team yet is anybodies guess. Not seeming like they respond rapidly - usually 48 hours to respond to replies on the ticket and so far most of the conversation has been them asking me to do things that they could so easily just try themselves. Still we must follow their procedures no matter how pedantic they seem to be. The problem however is clearly present and very easily demonstrable. It appears that when CreateFile is used to open an existing directory (an unusual operation you might think but one which is required in order to read or write attributes and other info) it can fail when certain parameters are specified. This very much seems to be the undeniable case when it comes to xcopy failing to copy over an already existing destination directory. You can observe XCOPY making these calls using the sys internals process monitor app and see the difference between PD15 and 16. In PD16 you see XCOPY gets a failure for 2 CreateFile (opening existing directory) calls where in PD15 and earlier the same calls succeed. The destination has to be on a parallels share in order to observe the issue of course and that implies the issue probably lies in a parallels file system filter driver which is where their implementation must have changed. I have provided them with as much info as possible but I guess we just have to sit back and wait. I'm sure its not just XCopy which is affected and there are certainly indications that it affects Visual Studio and probably countless other apps. I would consider it as a critical issue. For my part I reverted to 15 (for a while) but now am limping along again with 16 having run into other issues and managing to bypass the use of xcopy in my automated builds and tests which was where I first noticed the issue as it was causing these to fail in peculiar ways.

MarcelloR likes this.
  20. SimoneR1

SimoneR1 Bit poster

Hi guys, I have similar issue with Autocad Electrical 2021. If I work on project placed on the shared drive the system return me a lot of read only issue. If I work on project placed on local virtual all work fine. The issue start after upgrade to Parallels 16 from Parallels 15.