Parallels Desktop 16 still won't start on macOS Big Sur Public Beta 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrzysztofO, Aug 11, 2020.

1. JamesW16

JamesW16 Bit poster

I saw that. I thought that once I installed 15 first that it worked. Sorry

2. HJG.D2

HJG.D2 Bit poster

I was finally able to launch PD 16. First, I had to delete some Western Digital drivers (with SIP turned off) which were leftovers from a WD MyPassport external hd which I had owned years ago. After this, the Parallels install worked fine. However, after trying to start my virtual machine, the iMac crashed (black screen). I then remembered a suggestion made in the forum and switched the hypervisor from Parallels to Apple. Everything works fine now.

3. RafaeloG

RafaeloG Bit poster

Thank you, this worked for me. Rafaelo

4. MatthewC19

MatthewC19 Bit poster

Same issue...

THE FIX... Uninstall VirtualBox with CleanMyMac X...
    Regular uninstall does not work for what ever reason, so something is being left from VirtualBox that is causing the conflict.

5. LeeR6

LeeR6 Member

I am still UNABLE to launch Parallels. I have tried the Virtual Box route. I have tried all the codes. Nothing.
    Created an error log: Report ID: 348469351

6. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

@LeeR6 Try this:

This worked for me until they get this fixed. It is not perfect, as things run slow and graphics are blurry.

1. Locate the virtual machine's file as described in this article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/117333
    (It is usually in your user folder under Parallels folder)
    2. Right-click on it > Show Package contents.
    3. Inside you will see a config.pvs. Right-click config.pvs > Open with TextEdit.
    4. Inside of it find (CMD+F) the following part:
    <HypervisorType>0</HypervisorType>
    and change it to
    <HypervisorType>1</HypervisorType>
    Save the changes.
    5. Run Parallels Desktop. Run the virtual machine. If prompted to reset the virtual machine, do it.

JoseM48 likes this.
  7. JamesW16

JamesW16 Bit poster

Just loaded Beta 6. This version doesn't crash when you try to launch a VM but the vm wont start unless you have hypervisor set to apple.

8. JamesW16

JamesW16 Bit poster

OK I was wrong. What else is new... The security was blocking the driver. Stay with apple. not Parallels for hypervision or VM will crash mac.

9. dyrnwyn

dyrnwyn Bit poster

I have had the restart loop with PD 16 since downloading it. After multiple trial and error and all of the methods listed here (terminal commands, uninstalling VirtualBox), I was finally able to get out of the restart loop (Big Sur Public Beta 6). What worked for me was disabling SIP (start from the Recovery Drive, run Terminal, type csrutil disable and hit enter) and deleting old WD kext files from Library/Extensions. I then re-enabled SIP (boot from recovery, run terminal, type csrutil enable and hit enter, then reboot. Now if Adobe Acrobat Pro would work under Big Sur...

10. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

Parallels 16.0.1 is out and it fixed all of my issues. I am running Big Sur Public Beta 3 (Beta 6) and it runs great with Parallels hypervisor. You should update if you have not.

11. BarryR1

BarryR1 Bit poster

Whats the advantage of running with Parallels hypervisor as apposed to apple?

12. TheTack

TheTack Junior Member

It runs a lot better ... faster, better networking, etc.. Also, it is the default and designed that way.

13. FrancisP2

FrancisP2 Bit poster

I switched my Catalina to Big Sur beta 6 two days ago, and updated Paralell Desktop to v16 yesterday. I had the 'reboot to install Parallels' loop: when launching it wouldn't open control center and instead display the popup asking for a reboot.

I finally found informations here from peoples who had the same problem. Following general advice, I uninstalled Virtual box (using Parallels Toolbox App-uninstaller which works fine), it fixed the reboot issue.

14. tgilbrea69

tgilbrea69 Bit poster

Did the 16.0.1 update fix the 'reboot to install Parallels' loop?

15. Hi, what is your macOS version? Did you update to the latest beta?

16. tgilbrea69

tgilbrea69 Bit poster

No I didn't update the Beta. I ended up having to just do a restore from backup.
    Did the issue get resolved in later betas?

17. RickK1

RickK1 Member

This morning I upgraded Parallels to 16, and installed BIg Sur Beta 10, and this problem still exists. Granted, I haven't tried any of the 'fixes' in this series of postings, that will come in the next day-or-so.

18. Hello, could yo collect the tech report please and post the report's ID here?
    Also screenshots of the issue will be very helpful.

19. RickK1

RickK1 Member

I just sent the technical report (34Ji/32Cm@CpLaB), and attached a copy of the screen shot of the reboot message (it is attached here as well).

As I noted in the technical report, due to this difficulty, last week I backed off to use Catalina (so that I could use the installed version of Parallels, which was working fine). This morning, I upgraded (again) to macOS Big Sur Beta 10 (20A5395g), and tried Parallels, same problem. I then (based on an earlier recommendation) changed the hypervisor to 0 (instead of 1), but that didn't work. I then changed the hypervisor back to 0, same problem.

Also, FYI, I can use VMware Fusion under Big Sur and it works OK, but not as good graphics as Parallels under Catalina.

Attached Files:

20. Hello, did you update your Parallels Desktop 16 to the latest build 16.1.0 an check the issue?