ADDED: Touch ID login in Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by saf, Oct 17, 2017.

1. saf

saf Bit poster

Hello,
    I am using Windows 10 as a guest OS on MB Pro, but I can't use the Touch ID to login to Windows 10.
    Please write a Windows 10 driver, so we can use Touch ID to login to Windows 10.
    Thanks

Abadi, MannyD2, AlbertG2 and 59 others like this.
  2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi saf,

I see using TouchID to log in to Windows VM looks cool, but isn't it more effective to use autologin in Windows and do not spend time on the login at all?

If you need to keep Windows asking you for the login, can you please elaborate more on why you have to? The implementation details highly depend on this.

--
    Hemnath Prabagaran wrote a blog post on enabling an auto-login in Windows http://blog.parallels.com/2017/07/11/windows-auto-login/

3. saf

saf Bit poster

Hi Alev,
    It is not just being cool, it is a very useful requirement.
    For example, when I'm working in Windows and then I lock the screen when I go away and when I come back, it will ask me for a password. It's much better to have the Touch ID login (just as in Mac OS).
    The autologin feature is a security hazard. Of course I want protection for my computer. I just want it via touch ID and not password.

MassimoM10 likes this.
  4. alev

alev Parallels Team

So you lock Windows, but not Mac, right? So somebody else without Touch ID access can use the Mac while you are away?

EvanL2 likes this.
  5. saf

saf Bit poster

While that may be true, my main concern is for me to login to Windows quickly with the touch ID
    I work mostly in Windows

6. KalonjiC

KalonjiC Bit poster

I find making windows unlock automatically is good enough . when I want to lock windows, I just lock the Mac

HenrikN likes this.
  7. GregoryK3

GregoryK3 Bit poster

I would like the Touch ID login/unlock as well as opposed to auto-log in. For me it just is more an additional protection to make sure we are in compliance to regulations and our clients. Beyond that, on a domained machine other accounts can log in, if they are an administrator they can provide access to the files and then everything looks like it is done by me (as the auto login would allow them to log in as me). With that being a possibility, it makes it not compliant to regulations like FINRA and HIPAA.

8. xbodye

xbodye Bit poster

what if macbooks equiped by Face ID technology in next year ? which app should we use for login windows 10 via face id ?

KaitlynK likes this.
  9. Anthony Fahey

Anthony Fahey Bit poster

How about you implement Touch ID within windows because your customer base wants it and shouldn't, as your source of revenue, have to rationalize it for you?

hux likes this.
  10. LuukL

LuukL Bit poster

Can everybody in this group please help by voting this feature up? Now the MacBook Air 2018 also has Touch ID, this feature is even more sought after.

Anthony Fahey likes this.
  11. FedericoA2

FedericoA2 Bit poster

This is not an option when the user account is from an enterprise domain, and not stored locally. Besides if my windows image is stored in an external SSD, and falls into the wrong hands, I don't want anyone who just happen to boot the image, to be auto logged in.

There are other benefits in having TouchID be shown as a fingerprint reader in Windows, such as integration with third party applications that implement authentication/signing with fingerprint readers.

Please implement this.
    Thanks

hux and HenrikN like this.
  12. TeddyS1

TeddyS1 Bit poster

Agreed with the above poster. Enterprise domains do not permit autologin, so I'm left to input my password regularly. Please support TouchID authentication!

13. zim20z

zim20z Bit poster

which app should we use for login windows 10 via face id ?

14. FelipeE

FelipeE Bit poster

I agree, I use windows for corporate purposes and the touch id would be more practical to log in instead of entering the password

15. JosiahK

JosiahK Bit poster

I also can think of multiple reasons to lock Windows and not the Mac or have them lock and unlock independently. Any update on when this will be implemented? Alev are you still there?

16. mustafay1

mustafay1 Junior Member

any solution?

KaitlynK likes this.
  17. DanielV10

DanielV10 Bit poster

I like the idea of using the TouchID as Windows logon also, because I use a company-managed Windows VM that is forcing to have a protected login.

mustafay1 likes this.
  18. KaitlynK

KaitlynK Bit poster

Glad to read this informative discussions!

19. UrsS

UrsS Bit poster

How is the status about this feature?
    My company is using windows with domain users. The password is 15 characters long and they use "lock after 5 minutes of inactivity" - then I always have to reenter the password. TouchID would be really helpful.

hux likes this.
  20. ChrisParallel

ChrisParallel Bit poster

Yes, would be very helpful and time saving.
    I would also suggest an option to auto-login without Touch-ID, if you have access to your Mac, you have access to the VM.