Big Sur Public Beta and Parallels 16 - Only showing a 3Mb graphics card

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Nentecular, Aug 11, 2020.

1. AMCMO

AMCMO Member

" They said it works when the native os is macOS 11, its not ideal but you are running a fraking beta so stop SH!ting on the parallels team."

No shitting involved, just rightly holding their feet to the fire. If VMWare can achieve greater than 1024 resolution, there's nothing to stop Parallels. On top of that a big parts of the posts focussed on the growing arrogance at Parallels. While running a beta has its risks, incompetence/arrogance on the part of the developer should not be one if them.

What's with the stupid made up words 'fraking' 'sH!ting'. It's supposedly an adult forum. Here in Australia we say what we mean. It's a fucking beta Is I guess what you pretended to say. With only 1024 resolution, it's a pretty fucked up beta at best. Feel free to clutch your pearls.

oztrev and wjpjr like this.
  2. aspen63

aspen63 Member

Same problem here. Highly disappointed with the situation and Parallels' response.

3. wjpjr

wjpjr Bit poster

And no based on my tests running version 16 on big sur it does not work correctly to solve the low 3M memory video allocation. But you would know that if you had read the entire thread.

4. oztrev

oztrev Member

Having been a Parallels Desktop user since v2 on my 2007 Mac mini, yesterday I bought the current Fusion v11.5.6 and... yes, with a host Mojave system I can run my guest Big Sur Beta 5 in full screen resolution with no issues. My AVMidi application which fails under PD16, also works under Fusion 11. And I can install the same licence on more than one computer. Happy days.

MatthiasS9 and ChristianR14 like this.
  5. ChristianR14

ChristianR14 Bit poster

I've the same issue here with macOS 11.0 beta (20A5354i) on a Macmini8,1 with macOS 10.14.6.
    The story about the "Big Sur"-host seems fishy to me:
    I tried Fusion today and much to my surprise it not only installed a whole lot faster (~40min in total; where alone PD16 took the same amount of time to display the Apple logo with a progress bar...), it also works with any assignable VRAM amount and as a consequence: Higher resolution; yet not accelerated. But it is lightyears more usable!

Please, Parallels, fix this!!

6. AMCMO

AMCMO Member

What shits me most is Parallels have not bothered to respond to these posts. No 'we're working on it', no suggestions. Is it just they don't read the forums, or they just don't give a fuck?

7. NiklasB2

NiklasB2 Bit poster

I don't think it is related to BigSur.. i have exactly the same issue with a new virtual machine running Mojave that I just installed today..

8. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

I have a Mojave VM and it's fine. Of course this is Big Sur related.

9. oztrev

oztrev Member

I also have installed a new Mojave VM that is fine. It's just Big Sur that isn't (unless you use VMware Fusion 11.5.6 which works).

10. NiklasB2

NiklasB2 Bit poster

And it was a new WM you set it up using Parallels 16..? Strange because I have the exact same 3MB / 1024 limit for the Mojave VM I set up yesterday. It completely ignored any setting change. I will try to go back to Parallels 15 since I don't need a BigSur compatibly for now.

11. NiklasB2

NiklasB2 Bit poster

Sorry for the spelling errors above.. I can't see how to edit the spelling errors. And if you are sure that the 1024 pixel error is not related to Mojave I would for appreciate a tip on how to get rid of it.. (I have restarted, updated Parallell tools, changed graphic settings etc.).

12. Enrico

Enrico Bit poster

Hi, I have a different experience to share.
    First I can confirm that running a Big Sur guest under Catalina only enables 3 MB of ram to the virtual graphic card, resulting in the limited 1024*768 resolution.
    Anyway I wanted to test by myself, so I installed a fresh Big Sur Beta OS on an external SSD connected to my MBP, then installed a trial version of PD16 and created a Big Sur VM with the default settings. I can tell that I get a hires display on the guest Big Sur installation, as you can see from the attached screenshot.
    The video memory management is a little strange as it only assigns a small amount of MB to it, and even if I try to change in the configuration it still displays around 30 MB of video ram.
    Additionally, the VM is very unstable and happily explodes, but i had very little time on it so i don't have many details on this. Big Sur in Big Sur.jpg

13. mikita

mikita Junior Member

14. darren3

darren3 Member

Yeah, and they still haven't mentioned that Parallels using the Apple hypervisor is not usable in most cases.

15. stuartf

stuartf Member

A new version of Parallels 16 and tools has been released

Bad news. Still stuck with a 3Mb graphics card and terrible performance

16. ThomasW39

ThomasW39 Bit poster

Same running PD16/ Sierra 3Mb graphics

17. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

I've deleted my Big Sur VM, there's no point it being there. It's utterly unusable.

18. FabrizioC3

FabrizioC3 Bit poster

I tried Fusion 12 from my Catalina and mac os 11 works great! I'm installing beta 7 ...

wjpjr likes this.
  19. wjpjr

wjpjr Bit poster

And it's free for personal use... goodby parallels.

20. GordonS3

GordonS3 Bit poster

Running Big Sur Beta 11 (20A5364e) on a MacBook Pro 16, I've allowed 16 g memory and it's lagging badly, only 3mb graphics with the 1024*768 resolution. This is on a Samsung 256gb SSD Flashdrive.
    This is FYI, not a complaint...the Parallels team always sorts it out and with a Mac Beta I expect bugs.