Windows hangs after resuming

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JamesH6, Jan 13, 2020.

1. JamesH6

JamesH6 Bit poster

I'm having an issue with Windows guest OS after updating to Catalina 10.15.2 and Parallels 15.1.2. This has been happening 100% of the time since I updated, and is reproduced as follows:

1. Parallels VM is stopped. It does not seem to matter if I suspend the VM, or if I completely shut it down and quit Parallels completely.
    2. MacOS goes to sleep.
    3. When MacOS wakes up, and I attempt to start or resume the Windows VM, I get strange behavior. At first, Windows does not seem to be locked up at all. I can move the mouse and access program menus. However, as soon as I attempt to open a new application in Windows, everything freezes up. At this point, I attempt to kill all associated Parallels processes. Even after doing this, when I attempt to start Parallels, it immediately freezes upon startup. Also, even after killing all Parallels processes I'm aware of (including the prl_ ones), I cannot restart my Mac.

This has happened every day when I come into work since I updated. The only solution is to pull the plug on the Mac.

I have already tried completely removing the VM, and completely removing Parallels, and then reinstalling and creating a new VM. The problem persists. Any idea what could be causing this?

2. JamesH6

JamesH6 Bit poster

Also, sometimes, after pulling the plug on the Mac and attempting to start the VM again, I get the message:

Unable to resume "Windows 10" because it was suspended in a newer version of Parallels Desktop.

Obviously this is not what happened. But after clicking "Reset" it starts up okay.

3. MarianneE1

MarianneE1 Bit poster

I have the same issues! I use parallels to run Quickbooks for windows on my computer. Since Catalina I have nothing but problems with that side of the computer freezing up. Any help yet on this???

4. Tommyw2

Tommyw2 Bit poster

I have the same issues! I use parallels to run Quickbooks for home windows on my computer. Since Catalina I have nothing but problems with that facet of the pc freezing up.

5. NicholasB4

NicholasB4 Bit poster

Same here ... hot mess even a reboot doesn't work for me