Strange screen-edge artifact in full screen guest VMs

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GarthS, Sep 21, 2020.

1. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

I'm seeing a strange little white tab (well, actually, it's a very light blue) at the left side of the screen in every full-screen VM:
    [​IMG]

Details:
    • Host OS: MacOS Big Sur beta 7
    • Parallels version: 16.0.1
    • Guest OS: doesn't matter
    • Tab is actually exterior to the guest VM and doesn't show up in screenshots (image above is a composite)
    • Tab is always the same size
    • Tab appears in every full-screen guest OS
    • Tab disappears in non-full-screen mode
    • Every guest OS's tab is at a different height (but always at the left edge of the screen)
    • Tab doesn't respond to clicks, right-clicks, or dragged documents
    • Full-screen MacOS apps other than Parallels VMs do not display tabs

The behavior is so consistent and intentional-looking that I almost suspect that the tabs are some kind of feature. But as far as I can tell, they have no actual function, and I wasn't able to find any reference to them in the documentation.

Are these supposed to be there, and is there any way to turn them off?

2. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

The guest OSes are set to auto-update and I had seen them all reinstall recently. But I did go back after your suggestion and explicitly reinstall the toolbox in a Windows client using the instructions in the link. It did not change the behavior.

As I mentioned above, the tab does not seem be within the guest OS domain at all since guest-OS-native screenshots do not show it. Either that, or there is some kind of driver issue that generates a display error in the same way for both Windows and MacOS guests.

Can I assume from your suggestion that the tabs are not intended behavior, Maria?

3. Yes, it's not intended behavior.
    For the further issue investigation, could you test the same behavior with Safari browser (for example) please?
    Also the beta 8 has been released, could you update your macOS and check the issue please?
    Looking forward to your reply.

4. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

OK, I have updated to Big Sur beta 8, and the tabs remain for both Windows and MacOS guest OSes.

Just to be clear, I'm interpreting this request as "Please put some other app into full-screen mode and verify that it does not display the same tab artifacts that you are seeing in full-screen Parallels VMs." As I mentioned in the original post, full-screen apps do not show the tabs, even if they appear in Exposé as separate MacOS "spaces" in the same way that full-screen Parallels VMs do. I double-checked this under Big Sur beta 8, and that behavior is also unchanged: apps other than Parallels do not display the tab artifacts.

5. Thanks a lot for the clarification.
    Please reproduce the issue and collect technical report right after that, then please post the report's ID here.

6. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

OK, done. The report ID is #350393697. The screenshot thumbnail is too small for me to tell whether it captured the tab or not, but the tab was definitely there on the monitor.

7. Hello, thanks a lot for the provided tech report.
    We've involved Parallels Engineering team in this case, once we get any update we will let you know.
    Thank you for your time!