Please fix full-screen and cmd-tab before release

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chrismasto, May 18, 2006.

1. chrismasto

chrismasto Member

Parallels previously had some full-screen problems. Unfortunately this issue seems to have only gotten worse in the RC build. Now Parallels is disabling cmd-tab, even when not in full-screen mode. I don't know how other people use their computers, but I'm a pretty heavy multi-tasker, so not being able to quickly flip between applications is a huge failure. This alone is almost enough reason to go back to a second computer and Microsoft Remote Desktop instead of Parallels.

On top of that, rather than making full-screen play well with other windows, it's now quite insistent about being the only kid in the playground. Even pressing Cmd-H doesn't do the expected thing; instead Parallels suddenly pops back to windowed mode.

This isn't the way to go at all. I hope the Parallels team will spent a little time with Remote Desktop Connection to see how it should work. Full-screen mode shouldn't be any different than windowed mode, except that it takes up the full screen and doesn't have any borders. It should not be some kind of exclusive take-over-the-computer kiosk thing.

It's very disappointing that changes were made in this area, but in completely the wrong direction. I really hope there will be another RC with this problem fixed.

2. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

agreed... major step back in usability

3. jeliker

jeliker Junior Member

Also frustrated by changes

I implemented the REMAPKEY.EXE suggestion from another thread and changed the CMD key to work as CTRL. With that in place, I was very pleased by the operation with a guest Windows. I could CTRL-click for right mouse button yet still CMD-click when I wanted to select multiple items. As mentioned here, I would CMD-tab back and forth from Parallels running fullscreen on one Virtues desktop to a browser running on another desktop. Also, I had hotkeys in Virtues setup to just from desktop to desktop. Now, all that is gone? Is there no way for keypresses within the guest OS to be picked up by the OSX?

For that matter, I've yet to figure out how to right-click in the new release. CTRL-click no longer seems to work.

Jon-Eric

4. mcg

mcg Hunter

Hmm, what do you mean by this? It's working for me.

The other full-screen issues do remain, however.

5. mcg

mcg Hunter

Also, here's something weird. If I'm in fullscreen mode, and then switch back, suddenly all of my other windows (mail, safari, etc.) are squished up to the top of the screen.

Oh well, looks like this isn't the release candidate :)

But guys, you're doing good work---it's coming together.

6. kaufman

kaufman Member

By working for you, do you mean that it is bringing up a list of running apple application, or do you mean it is switching between the windows apps.

I would rather it work the way it worked before and the way it works in every other apple application. That is, I would rather it bring up my apple application.

Mcihael

7. macmansc

macmansc Junior Member

Command tab

Command tab works for me with the RC. I am also using virtue desktops. It brings up the apple "app switcher".

8. mcg

mcg Hunter

What I mean is that it brings up the apple application switcher... Alt/Option-Tab brings up the Virtue Desktops switcher... so I actually have no way to do Alt-Tab in Windows (but I don't mind much; if I did, I could disable the Virtue Desktops keypress, I suppose)

9. jtenenb

jtenenb Member

Did you also upgrade your parallels tools? Maybe thats why it still works?

I'm doing the virtue thing too and it does not let me do APPLE (CMD)-tab to swap desktops now only when im in my Windows guest. I dont get the virtue switcher thing with my hotkeys either. HUGE leap backwards in usability. I was pretty happy with B6 and never had complaints until now. CTRL-CLICK is crucial as is CMD tab capability.

EDIT: So now, for some reason CMD-TAB works, but not correctly. I can swap to the other desktop but when I do, it immeditally swaps back to the Parallels XP which then snaps out of full screen mode. Just make this whole Full screen/ hotkeys thing how it was in B6 PLEASE.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  10. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

command-tab needs to behave as expected...bring the other application to the front.

command-h needs to hide parallels.

...i agree...both of these things need to be looked at. otherwise, congratulations for an awesome piece of software engineering!

don