Cannot save Excel for Mac 2016 files to VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ShaneO2, May 31, 2020.

1. ShaneO2

ShaneO2 Bit poster

hi
    I have Excel 2016 installed on my Mac and Parallels 15 running Windows 10, but I have a Windows program which collects data for me every 2 hours. I need to write a macro which will open the file this program creates from the Windows side and copy the data to a standard Excel spreadsheet. For this to happen, I need to identify the exact location of the files on the VM; so it is not just C:\Prices\2020...which is the local folder on the VM. There is more to the exact location. I also need Excel to be able to open and save to the VM folders, which it cannot currently, yet I have all the correct permissions in PD.

So what I needed to do to identify the exact location of the folder is to create a new Excel blank file and save it to the folder on the VM. That was where problem 1 surfaced. The following message popped up when trying to save

[​IMG]

So I saved the file on my Mac and copied it across to the VM. That works, so am wondering why Excel cannot save to that location. I then created a macro to tell me the exact location the file is in, but when I try to save the macro in the macro enabled file, the same message pops up.

How is it possible for Excel for Mac to have proper access to the VM folders, for both saving and opening?

Thanks in advance

2. Hello, could you please re-upload the screnshot? Unfortunately, we cannot open it

3. ShaneO2

ShaneO2 Bit poster

Hello Maria
    Here is the screen shot
    Thank you Screen Shot 2563-06-01 at 08.17.52.png

4. ShaneO2

ShaneO2 Bit poster

So I am able to see the folder, in fact, I can even save the Excel file to the VM as a .csv or .pdf, but it simply is not possible to save a standard Excel spreadsheet file created in Excel installed on my Mac to the VM. Even if I copy a file across to the VM and open it from there, if I write a macro and try to save it in the file, I get the same message

Is it specifically an Excel issue or in PD? I am able to create a Word document and save it in the VM folders. The tech who did a remote session even disabled Avast to see if it was creating the issue, but it persisted. If I try to create a file and save it as a standard Excel format, .xls, .xlxs, .xlsm etc, it gives me that message. if I try to save as a Comma Separated Values file, .csv, no problems; even a .pdf is also fin.
    Any thougts at all?

5. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@ShaneO2 Please open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and open Accessibility. Make sure that box next to Parallels Desktop is checked. Do the same for Full Disk Access. And also make sure that Sharing between Mac and Windows 10.

6. ShaneO2

ShaneO2 Bit poster

Hi Kayva
    Thanks for your reply
    Yes, PD is checked in Accessibility, but where is Full Disk Access
    Screen Shot 2563-06-03 at 17.51.48.png

It is not an option I see anywhere there. I have the settings set to share Windows not share Mac

cheers

7. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@ShaneO2 Please let us know your Mac OS version to check further.

8. ShaneO2

ShaneO2 Bit poster

High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G12034)

9. KathyY

KathyY Bit poster

I've done the steps above and I still can't export files from parallels to excel on my mac. What am I missing?

Attached Files:

10. Hello, did you repair or reinstall MS Office applications and check the issue?

11. KathyY

KathyY Bit poster

Yes, I've done that now and did updates on system. Still can't connect to excel.

12. And did you check this article?

13. MelvinaN

MelvinaN Junior Member

Hi Maria, did you found the solution to your problem? I am facing the same.

14. Hi, what is your Parallels Desktop version?

15. MelvinaN

MelvinaN Junior Member

Mine is Parallels desktop pro edition

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2020
  16. RogerS12

RogerS12 Bit poster

I have the same problem. I can save and make changes from Word on the mac to a folder on my windows VM, but I get this same error when trying from Excel. Have implemented the fixes mentioned here regarding full disk access and accessibility.

17. HahnL

HahnL Bit poster

I too am facing the same issue, which is strange and only with Excel. Word or others are fine. Opening with Excel 365 in the Windows 10 environment and saving it works with no issues. Its only when opening the file from Finder using Excel (Mac), which does not allow it to be saved to the Windows 10 filesystem.

18. Guys, please let us know if the issue still actual and provide us with your Parallels Desktop and macOS versions

19. HahnL

HahnL Bit poster

Parallels: 16.0.1 (48919)
    macOS: 10.15.6

20. RayJ2

RayJ2 Bit poster

I'm having this problem too. I open an excel file stored on Windows 10 VM with Excel for Mac and it will not save back to the Windows 10 file. I have to save it on the Mac side.
    Parallels: 16.0.1
    MacOS: 10.13.6
    Win10Pro: v.1909 18363.1016
    Mac for Excel: 16.40