BSOD with USB card reader

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by elwood_j_blues, Oct 30, 2007.

1. elwood_j_blues

elwood_j_blues Bit poster

WinXP BAD_POOL_HEADER crash with USB card reader

Hi there.

I am using Parallels 3214 on Leopard and my WinXP VM works fine, however when I access my USB card reader (Cherry ST-1000), the Windows instance crashes with a BSOD mentioning "BAD_POOL_HEADER" right before it reboots.

The problem is reproducable.

Has anyone had this issue before?

If there is more that I can do to debug the issue please let me know. If you give me a hint how to, I can for example retain and post the entire BSOD message.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. elwood_j_blues

I now also tried the current Parallels v3 beta, but sadly, the same error occurs.

I'd be glad if somebody could give me a hint on how to debug the issue more so we can find a solution?

The drive I use for the card reader is the currently available driver from support.cherry.de.

3. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

You can capture the screen as follows:

1. Click outside your VM on your Mac desktop.
    2. Press and hold SHFT-CTRL-COMMAND-4 - your mouse pointer should turn into crosshairs
    3. Move the crosshairs to the upper-left corner of the area you want to capture
    4. While holding the mouse button down, drag the crosshairs down and to the right until you have a grey-ish rectangle covering the desired area.
    5. Release the mouse button
    6. Paste (COMMAND-V) into a blank document.

An image of your BSOD (or whatever you wanted to capture) should appear.

4. elwood_j_blues

Thank you very much for the additional help!

However, I can say it is fixed now: While I had installed the driver, Windows was still using the original Microsoft driver for the device. That driver made Windows crash upon accessing the Card Reader.

But then I actually made Windows use the driver provided by Cherry (Omnikey driver) by choosing it in the hardware settings, and now it works flawlessly!