USB Keyboard Problem 5160

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by slynch, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Thank you for your reports. We are trying to troubleshoot the issue.
    There might be an Apple(Command) key "sticking effect", which is a known bug we are fixing.
    After pressing Apple in Mac while your PD is running in Coherence mode the key turns out to be "stuck". This is a rare issue but it happens sometimes. So pressing Tab you get Command-Tab and so on.
    If this looks like the problem you are encountering, please send me the details as PM. All information is very important for us.
    We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos

2. sonjay

sonjay Junior Member

Nope, that's not it. After a fresh restart of my Mac, and without having touched the keyboard at all (including the command key), the tab key is still misbehaving.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

sonjay, please check your VM keyboard settings and your Mac keyboard settings.

We are analyzing the issue...

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. sonjay

sonjay Junior Member

I'm not sure exactly what you want me to check, but here's a screenshot of the "Keyboard" pane of PD's preferences panel:
    http://www.tropicalwebworks.com/keyboard.pdf

You'll notice I have CMD/CTRL swapped -- I've tried it with no remapping, and I get the same tab key problem.

I don't know what Mac keyboard settings you want me to check. It's the standard US English, nothing special. I use TypeIt4Me so I have Assistive Devices enabled in the Universal Access PrefPane.

Could you perhaps just tell me what you want me to check, or give me a clue as to what page of the 263-page user guide the "check keyboard settings" instruction is on? I really don't know what you're looking for here.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

sonjay, thank you for the information you've given.
    Please try to turn off Universal Access functions for a while. Will this change something?

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Sven.Luetkemeier

Sven.Luetkemeier Junior Member

The problem with the keyboard doesn't seem to be related to using coherence mode. As I wrote previously, the keyboard isn't working under Linux correctly either.
    I just tried to disable Universal Access. Doesn't change things. The problem is still there.

7. sonjay

sonjay Junior Member

Well, unlike Sven, in my case, disabling Assistive Devices in Universal Access does fix the problem. But only after disabling UA and then restarting the computer. Merely unchecking Assistive Devices didn't make any difference, until after I rebooted the computer.

Unfortunately, disabling UA is not a solution, as I depend heavily on TypeIt4Me. I hope this is something that can be fixed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  8. tucktuck

tucktuck Junior Member

I hardly every use coherence mode and have this problem all the time.
    Turning off Universal Access did not have an effect.

9. Sven.Luetkemeier

I just figured out that disabling Assitice Devices in Universal Access does fix the problem for me, too. As sonjay reported, a restart seems to be necessary.

However, just as sonjay, I'm also a user of TypeIt4Me so disabling UA isn't an acceptable solution.

10. KrP

KrP Member

Help!!!

The problem seems to come and go for no reason. is there a memory setting that maybe we should be looking at to modify?

While try ing to type in commands into Autocad 2008, I get all sorts of windoze pop up screens. Things I did not know windows had. what is narrator any way? and can I turn it off.

Is there a way to tell windoze to ignore and stop the shortcut key thingy.

11. sonjay

sonjay Junior Member

Further information:

As KrP pointed out, it's not just the tab key. Windows are popping up all over as if I'm holding down a modifier key. If I try to type "o" for example, the "Open file" dialog pops up, and if I try to type a "p" the "Print" dialog pops up. The tab key is perhaps only the most noticeably annoying (at least to me), but it's a bunch of keys that have unwanted effects.

Also, in re-reading the first post of the thread, slynch seems to have hit upon a key factor. Further testing has shown that if I specifically connect the keyboard under PD (thus disabling it on the Mac side), then I can type in Windows programs without any of this happening (even with Assistive Devices enabled on the Mac side).

12. tucktuck

tucktuck Junior Member

The tab key behavior did go away after a full restart of the computer with Assistive Devices disabled. Turning that feature back on and then restarting Parallels without a restart did not cause the problem to return. I haven't yet tried to reboot again.

13. sonjay

sonjay Junior Member

Tucktuck, I already tried that for you, and if you leave Assistive Devices enabled, the problem does return after a restart.

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Thank you very much for providing us with the details and for investigating the problem.
    I've made a full report on it for our QA team. We are working hard to fix the issue in future updates. Please sorry for these troubles.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. sonjay

sonjay Junior Member

Any ETA on a fix for this issue?

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello sonjay,

QA team has reproduced the issue you described. You get it with Typeit4you installed. Our developers have started working on this. The problem will be eliminated in one of updates coming soon. Thank you for keeping your eye on the matter.

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. tucktuck

tucktuck Junior Member

Thank you!
    Until there is a fix, setting the TypeIt4Me preference to not expand keystrokes for Parallels Desktop application works just fine for me.

18. Sven.Luetkemeier

Unfortunately, disabling TyeIt4Me just for Parallels Desktop as tucktuck describes doesn't help on my system. I still can't use the tab key reliably.

19. tucktuck

tucktuck Junior Member

I'm using version 3.2.3 of Ti4m.

20. Sven.Luetkemeier

I was still using TypeIt4Me 3.1.x. I wasn't even aware there was a newer version. I updated to 3.2.3 and the tab key seems to work now fine. Thanks for the hint!