Open Teams Mac when clicking link in Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by Quintenv, Aug 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Quintenv

Quintenv Bit poster

Good Morning,

Is it possible to let the MacBook open Teams on MacOS when clicking on a meeting link in the Windows VM? I don't want to do that for all internet URL's but only for Teams meetings.

NickB18 likes this.
  2. Hello, you can try to click on "open with" and make your application as default.
    Please let us know if it's not that case.

3. Quintenv

Quintenv Bit poster

I did that but i can only select Teams on Windows but i want it to open Teams on Mac.

4. You didn't find Teams for Mac on the Windows side?
    Did you share your applications between Mac and VM?

5. Maybe I can follow up on that because it's exactly my problem, as well. Applications are shared.
    When opening Windows System Settings, Apps, Standard-Apps per Protocol, you can find this:

upload_2020-9-8_12-4-22.png
    (Sorry for the German language)

You can only choose between Microsoft Teams (which is the Windows client) and "Search for an app in Microsoft Store". Unfortunately, here's no option to "Open in Mac" nor to choose the Mac Teams client.
    For me, this is quite an issue because I have to open a dozen meetings every day. Currently, I have to right click the link, copy the hyperlink and paste it into any MacOS browser to have it being opened in the Mac client. And even then sometimes the Windows client is launched instead.
    Help would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Henning

6. alev

alev Parallels Team

No option yet without settings all links to open in Mac. Moved the thread to the feature suggestion forum to take a look at it.

7. JasonF6

JasonF6 Bit poster

Any update on this feature suggestion?

8. DavidJ37

DavidJ37 Bit poster

I am looking for the same feature

9. alev

alev Parallels Team

DavidJ37 likes this.
  10. DavidM128

DavidM128 Bit poster

funnily enough I have the opposite problem: I'm trying to workout how to STOP Teams in Windows, under Parallels, opening up the Teams for Mac OS app.
    e.g. when I click on a meeting and try to join, it starts the Mac OS Teams app. I can't see anywhere in the Parallels Configuration or Settings to change this.
    This suggests that there IS an option somewhere to configure how to handle Teams actions.
    I suspect that the fix to your problem will be the same place to fix my problem.
    Appreciate any pointers.

ChrisF13 likes this.
  11. DavidM128

DavidM128 Bit poster

I should have added that Teams for Mac opens if I click on "Join" from either the alert notification or if I'm in Calendar view and click on the "join" button in the top-right of the calendar item. Note that when I do this I'm not actually opening the calendar item. If I open the calendar item and click on the meeting link then it opens in Teams for Windows.
    I'm thinking that although our scenarios are polar opposites, it must be the same control point / configuration that manages that behaviour?

12. ChrisF13

ChrisF13 Bit poster

I have this opposite issue as well. Did you ever get an answer? I work in Windows but target my hyperlinks to open in Chrome on the Mac because using Parallels significantly reduces my internet speed on the Windows side. But I want Teams to open on Windows because it won't authenticate me on the Mac side. Any ideas?

13. DavidM128

DavidM128 Bit poster

Nope. Never received a response or fix. So I'm heading back to the world of Windows. It's a shame - I was "brought up" on Windows but appreciate a lot about the Mac World but there are certain Windows things that I need in the Mac world for professional reasons ... i.e. MS Project, Visio ... And then there are things like Age of Empires that I need for gaming with my son (works fine in single player mode ... but time-synch issues in myltiplayer). Currently I'll be about 15 minutes into a TEAMS videoconference and then I'll start hearing a looped warning / error alert - others on the call don't hear the alert but do notice a degradation in the sound quality ... Add to that the inability to select whether it's the Mac or Windows version of an app that opens up and ... mehhhhhhh - I'm heading back to the world of Windows where, to be honest - with the current hardware - even Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop are running as good as (if not better / faster) than in the Mac world.

14. JannyB

JannyB Bit poster

I have the same problem; opening Teams icon on Mac, will result Teams opening in Windows. Is there a solution now?

15. FranciscoT4

FranciscoT4 Bit poster

I have the same problem, I would like to open Teams from MAC when clicking on windows links, can somebody help?

16. LuisM13

LuisM13 Bit poster

I dragged apps from the Windows 11 application folder directly to the dock. Works like a charm.

I'm in the camp where I use Outlook under Windows but need to use Teams under OSX, but can't seem to figure out how to get Windows to link out to Teams for Mac.

I need this because Teams under Windows doesn't seem to be able to share any windows outside of the Parallels environment.