Is Parallels Desktop still ad-supported software?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MatthewT5, Mar 20, 2020.

1. MatthewT5

MatthewT5 Bit poster

Hello,
    I considered buying Parallels Desktop a while ago. But after I did some research, I found out that the product periodically displayed adverts for other software which could not be turned off. The ads would pop up randomly with 'special offers' while you were using VMs. The ads could individually be turned off, but you couldn't turn of the ads all-together.
    Can you advise if Parallels is still ad-supported? I can't justify purchasing it if it is, so I will have to re-evaluate my options.
    Thanks.

2. MatthewT5

MatthewT5 Bit poster

These are the ads I'm referring to, just to clarify:

ads.jpg

3. MatthewT5

MatthewT5 Bit poster

Hello Maria@Parallels,
    That article says this:
    Second, we occasionally share special offers from Parallels or other third party companies who provide special deals for our customers. Many of our customers rely on the information about product updates and appreciate the special deals for products that are of interest to them.

Individual notifications can be turned off by clicking the "don't show this again" button. However, because customers need to receive important product information, there is not a mechanism for customers to completely disable notifications.

Please see the part I emphasised in bold. This suggests that Parallels is still ad-supported software. The software still displays ads. That's what it says in that KB article.
    Are you able to confirm that the product is still ad-supported, as it says in that article?
    If the answer is 'yes', I won't be purchasing the software. If the answer is 'no', I will purchase the software.

Look forward to your reply.

4. MatthewT5

MatthewT5 Bit poster

Also - what is the 'solution' in the article? That article does not appear to provide a way to turn off ads. It only talks about turning off 'individual notifications'.
    That's not the same as turning off ads all-together, is it? If I tick that box, I will still receive ads in the future, correct?
    I'm sure you can understand why I don't want to pay for a product that displays advertising.
    Thanks

5. MatthewT5

MatthewT5 Bit poster

Has any update been made on this? Does Parallels still contain the bug where it shows ads even when you turn them off?
    @Maria@Parallels can you confirm if this bug has been fixed? That all ads, promotions, special offers, marketing, deals, special buys etc. have been removed from this paid software?
    Can you please confirm that the decision-makers at Parallels are aware of this bug?