beta6: cannot view usb flash, shared folders

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by enthios, May 10, 2006.

1. enthios

enthios Member

Hi. I just installed beta6. I'm a first time user so not sure how to do many things. I'm running XP with 900mb of memory (and 1.1mb on osx, total 2.0 on the machine). Seems to work fine. Even full screen on my 17" MBP.

Problems:

(1) When I plug in my USB flash drive (1gb Sandisk), I hear the familiar "new usb device found" sound, and a little warning message pops up to tell me that I've placed a high speed device in a slow speed port (why? these are usb 2.0 ports). However, the drive does not show up anywhere on my desktop or in My Computer or in Windows Explorer.

(2) I've got file sharing set up to share two folders from OSX. Both of these folders appear in the "Parallels Shared Folders" icon on the desktop. But when I open that folder and click on either of shared folders, the window disappears.

- Note - sometimes when I click on a shared folder, it does NOT dissapear and I can see into the folder. But when I try to copy a folder over into the virtual c:\ drive, either the shared folder window crashes, or I get an error message that says "Cannot Copy [filename]: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.]

- Note - after trying this several times, I was able to move a sub-folder folder from the shared folder to the virtual c:\ drive but after copying several of the files over, I got the same error message as above.

(3) Assuming we can fix that, is there a way to have XP folders appear on the OSX desktop as well?

Thanks! Looks like a great product.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  2. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

the million dollar question

did you install Parallels Tools ? while the guest OS is running, go to menu VM > Install Parallels Tools

3. enthios

enthios Member

Parallel tools

Yes, I installed Parallel Tools. It seems to be working - for example, the mouse now moves freely from the XP window to the OSX desktop. Is there anything else I need to be doing with Parallel Tools?

4. enthios

enthios Member

has anyone else had this problem?

5. androsyyz

androsyyz Junior Member

I have the same problem with USB flash drives, in fact, I have the same isue with three different USB flash drives. I posted a thread asking if anyone had a USB flash drive working (and if so, what brand, model#) and nobody responded.

I have file sharing between the Mac OS X and Windows XP, however, it is quite unstable and slow. Many times, I attempt to save a file to the shared drive and it hangs, I get no messages of any kind. Other times, I double click the shared drive and it won't open up. The shared drive is very slow. I use shared drive in a purely Windows XP environment and it is by far faster than the speed that I get through the Parallels shared folder environment.

6. dotdd

dotdd Junior Member

I have the same problem. I have my external USB & Firewire HDs shared in Parallels as shared folders. However, when I dig into the folders in the HD, the Explorer window just disappear (or sometimes come up with an error).

It just doesn't just happen in Explorer, it also happens to application then browsing the shared folder. Like say I am saving an e-mail in Outlook Express or openning a file from Dreamweaver, the applications disappear without any error messages...