Automatically open document with 32-bit app in Sierra VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BoydO, Jun 27, 2020.

1. BoydO

BoydO Bit poster

Under MacOS Catalina, I have created a MacOS Sierra virtual machine in order to run 32-bit apps. Specifically, I have FileMaker Pro 11 installed in the Sierra virtual machine and it works fine. But I would like to automatically open FileMaker documents in this virtual machine and cannot figure out how to do that. I also have FileMaker installed in a Windows 10 virtual machine and have that set to automatically open my documents in Catalina, but don't see a way to do that with the Sierra virtual machine. Is this possible?

2. Abishek

Abishek Member

Hello @BoydO Please explain how would the application open the files automatically? Do you refer to pointing the location of the files from the application default, please explain in brief to assist you better.

3. BoydO

BoydO Bit poster

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I can open files on my Macintosh with a Windows program using the technique described on your site here:
    https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v10/docs/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/32927.htm
    To set files of a particular type to always open in a Windows program:
    1. Right-click (or Control-click) a file and choose Get Info from the shortcut menu.
    2. Click the triangle next to "Open with" to expand the section.
    3. Choose a Windows program from the pop-up menu.
      If you don't see the program you want, choose Other and choose a Windows program from /username/Applications (Parallels)/Windows Applications.
    4. Click Change All.
    I would like to be able to do the same thing on the host computer, but with a 32-bit Mac program running in a MacOS Sierra virtual machine. But it is not possible to choose a virtual MacOS Application from /username/Applications (Parallels)

4. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@BoydO Please provide us the screenshot when you choose "Open with" to see the list of applications available.

5. BoydO

BoydO Bit poster

Here is the get info dialog. It only shows Windows applications. Or is there another place that I should be looking? I have Parallels tools installed in the MacOS virtual machine, and that works fine. Within the VM, I can access folders on the host machine and open the files from there, so that is actually pretty easy. But it would be nice if it worked like the Windows VM.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 9.41.57 PM.png

Thanks for your help!

6. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

7. BoydO

BoydO Bit poster

Yeah, I don't think they understood. I just wanted to double-click a document and have parallels automatically start a MacOS 32-bit app - like it does with Windows apps. But it's no big deal, I just start the VM first, then open the document. Obviously this is something the current version of Parallels just can't do.

8. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member