Windows cannot access \\MAC\Home\Desktop

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CharlesE2, Oct 9, 2020.

1. CharlesE2

CharlesE2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I am running:
    MACOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
    Parallels Desktop 16 Pro Edition for Mac
    It had been working fine for years. For some reason, on the Windows screen I no longer see the desktop icons that are shared with the Mac. It had been working until several days ago. I believe (not sure) it happened after the latest mac upgrade was made. I also get the error:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ..... Windows cannot access \\MAC\Home\Desktop
    ..... You do not have permission to access \\MAC\Home\Desktop. Contact your network administrator to request access
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have reinstalled Parallels with no success. Can someone please help point me in a right direction to get this fixed.

Thank you

2. CharlesE2

CharlesE2 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hello,
    It seems like, for some reason, a newly installed program (possibly the latest MacOS update), may have had some effect on the Parallels application. Yes, that seems weird but that was the only thing I remember having changed since the issue began.

The solution I found is to go into the Parallels configuration (the "Configure ..." from the dropdown) and select "Sharing". I then went to "Custom Folders" and added the Mac Desktop to the "User-defined macOS folders:". For some reason this entry was missing and was causing the issue. That's it.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Regards

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. CharlesE2

CharlesE2 Bit poster

Problem solved. I have found the issue.

Thanks

4. Hello,
    could you please share with us and other users your solution?

5. AleciaB

AleciaB Bit poster

Yes, please, share your solution. I have the same issue with another version. Maybe this could help me (and somebody else).

Thanks,
    Alecia

6. CharlesE2

CharlesE2 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hello,
    It seems like, for some reason, a newly installed program (possibly the latest MacOS update), may have had some effect on the Parallels application. Yes, that seems weird but that was the only thing I remember having changed since the issue began.

The solution I found is to go into the Parallels configuration (the "Configure ..." from the dropdown) and select "Sharing". I then went to "Custom Folders" and added the Mac Desktop to the "User-defined macOS folders:". For some reason this entry was missing and was causing the issue. That's it.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Regards

7. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
    Please let us know if you have any questions to us.

8. RubyR

RubyR Bit poster

hi , I still can't have access for my Mac drive.. I have no where to save my windows file. I tried to download .exe file but it won't read as usuall.. I use latest Mac and latest parallels desktop standard version. please help..

Attached Files:

9. CharlesE2

CharlesE2 Bit poster

Hi, the only solution I found to give access to the Desktop is to go into the Parallels configuration (the "Configure ..." from the dropdown) and select "Sharing". Then go to "Custom Folders" and add the Mac Desktop to the "User-defined macOS folders:" However if it is not downloading or executing the .exe file, that might be a different issue

Regards

CharlesK9 and IsabellaF like this.
  10. CharlesK9

CharlesK9 Bit poster

This is the only thing that worked for me.

I haven't updated OSX, Windows nor Parallels. They're all on manual update to avoid things like this. I haven't installed any third party software in either OS. Yesterday sharing worked fine and today it just stopped. I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that I did.

So after trying various things mentioned in this forum and others, I found that clicking on Sharing/Configure... and enabling (or re-enabling?) Windows' access to the Mac's Desktop worked. (Before this I tried just giving access to Documents, but that didn't work). See attached screenshot.
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 16.17.16.png

Interestingly, the pathway is slightly different. Previous, I had direct access to the folder. Now I have to go via Mac Files folder on the Windows desktop. I can't remember if it was there originally, but until this fix it wasn't. It also has a different icon with a green pipe image that suggests it's now a network folder (see screenshot).
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 16.24.18.png

I hope this is helpful.

ps: in hindsight, I think I might have rebooted for the first time in a while... but 100% certain on that

11. Jeffrey Kamis

Jeffrey Kamis Bit poster

I believe I have found the culprit here, at least on this system: Dropbox!
    It moves your Desktop and Downloads folder into the Dropbox folder and replaces them with aliases (symlinks, I think).

12. IsabelleH

IsabelleH Bit poster

Hello Parallels forum, I'm looking for help in solving a few problems.

I recently did a fresh install of Win 10. During the MS fresh install process when prompted I saved my files (apps, Docs, etc).
    I now get the following errors and am looking for help
    best regards,

upload_2021-9-30_17-32-56.png
    upload_2021-9-30_17-34-29.png
    upload_2021-9-30_17-34-46.png

13. Hanna1

Hanna1 Bit poster

What is the solution to this? Just downloaded dropbox and screwed up my entire Parallels Desktop.

14. UrosD

UrosD Bit poster

I have m1 based mac and parallels installed windows 11 and had exact same issues. I have tried everything. Just add the dropbox folder (not desktop) to trusted folders.

15. CatalinI

CatalinI Bit poster

Hello, I have a same issue. I did't make all changes mentioned by Maria@Parallels and not working at all. Please have any suggestion

16. CatalinI

CatalinI Bit poster

I have the same issue and I made all step's mentioned by Maria@Parallels. Attached the print screens. Whats happens @parallels ?

Attached Files:

17. Wonderland

Wonderland Bit poster

please I need help I could not access my windows on my Mac book air and I was ask to report each time I try to access my windows and I got no response all it says is for me to contact my parallels administrator please I need help