Shared folder permissions problems after Parallels 16 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndreiB2, Aug 24, 2020.

1. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

Finally the issue appears to have been accepted and passed on to the correct team. Hopefully a fix will come out before too long. By the way I'm not sure that it really is a permissions issue but believe it instead to be a flaw due to some change made in the Parallels (prl_fs.sys) file system driver which causes CreateFile to fail where it used to succeed. The actual error code may indeed be ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED but that is more or less irrelevant as it isn't the true cause. Issues in other programs may also appear to hint at it being a permissions issue such as with Visual Studio when not running as admin and attempting to open a solution on a Parallels share. Unexpected API failures tend to lead to unexpected behaviour and this can be very misleading.

MarcelloR and MikaelA2 like this.
  2. SamuelC5

SamuelC5 Bit poster

I've sended. This problem makes parallels an useful tools.

3. MikaelA2

MikaelA2 Bit poster

Great! I can't do any work.

4. SamuelC5

SamuelC5 Bit poster

Technical report id 350355018

5. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

I have the same problem here (with Visual Studio 2019), after upgrading to PD 16.0.1. No problem with PD 15.
    Any solution to this issue?

6. AndreiB2

AndreiB2 Bit poster

As workaround you can manually mount:
    net use z: \\Mac\Home
    and run VS as Administrator. But it's still problem with xcopy command

7. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi AndreiB2, thank you for the tip but that's already my case. Moreover, as mentioned before, running VS with Administrator privileges can't work for me, because of the different user's profile.

Thanks.

8. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Same here. Downgraded to PD 15 and now everything is working fine.

9. Graham_Baskerville

Graham_Baskerville Bit poster

I am having the same problem in attempting to open attachments in Word from e-mails sent to me since I upgraded from Parallels 15 to 16. I am informed that I do not have permission from the Administrator. This is on a brand new 2020 iMac in my home. Please advise

10. VogelB

VogelB Bit poster

I experience the same problem. All shared folders are ready only and this can not be changed using the windows file explorer. It changes back to readonly immediately. I can not edit any files using Visual Studio. If I try to open a file I get the same error message like @AndreiB2 already posted. When I run Visual Studio as admin no shared folders a shown.
    Parallels has all needed permissions (Full Disk Access, Accessibility)

Parallels Version: 16.0.1 (48919)
    Host Version: Catalina 10.15.6
    Guest Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Please fix this as fast as possible. Folder and file sharing is a main feature. Parallels is nearly useless for me this way.

MarcelloR likes this.
  11. nickcom

nickcom Bit poster

+1. Fix this.

MarcelloR likes this.
  12. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

+1. Fix this.

13. MikaelA2

MikaelA2 Bit poster

Yes, please, fix it.

MarcelloR likes this.
  14. RexH2

RexH2 Bit poster

+1. Fix this.

MarcelloR likes this.
  15. Hello guys, this issue is under investigation. Parallels Engineering Team are currently working on the resolution.
    Once we get any updates we will let you know.

16. MatthewH11

MatthewH11 Junior Member

Great news this is under investigation. Please communicate the fix clearly. I have abandoned v16 completely because every time it wrecks my file and folder permissions and I can't compile anything. I've tried updating from v15 twice (after fixing all the permissions of course) and have completely given up on the v16, which is a big problem as it's going to prevent me from using Big Sur.

MarcelloR and UsmanT like this.
  17. UsmanT

UsmanT Bit poster

Same here. Had to revert back to v15. Looking forward to when the issue has been fixed.

MarcelloR likes this.
  18. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Same here as @MatthewH11: I would copy/paste his message!

19. Thanks you for your reply.
    Parallels Engineering team is continually working on issue that are escalated from our Support Team; however do not share an ETA for fix until one is available
    Once we get any update we will let you know

20. Hello do you have the same issue with Parallels Desktop 16.01?