Parallels keeps waking my mac up while in sleep and draining the battery

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PNN, Feb 13, 2020.

1. PNN

PNN Bit poster

I'm running Windows 7 and I after I put my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019 version 10.15.3) to sleep I find that the battery is drained in the morning because Parallels (Desktop Business Edition 15.1.2) woke up and was running all night. I never had this problem with VMware. Does anybody have a solution??

2. I'm experiencing the same issue with a Windows 10 VM. Parallels under MacOS 10.14.x didn't have this issue.

3. Hi guys, did you stop your VM completely? Also did you quite Parallels Desktop before put your Mac to the sleep mode?

4. Yes, doing those 2 things does allow the Mac to sleep. For the VM in question, changing the hypervisor to "Apple" instead of "Parallels" and leaving the VM running will allow full sleep mode. So maybe something with the Parallels hypervisor?

5. Thank you for the provided details...So, with Apple hypervisor you didn't turn your VM to sleep mode and it doesn't wake your Mac up, right?

6. That is correct.

7. Is it possible to collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

8. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Exactly same problem here! I have already written to PD support some months ago.
    Right now, when I use Paralles hypervisor, I have to manually suspend my VM and also close Parallels Desktop.

9. Hi, we've checked your ticket and found that we've offer a remote session to you, but didn't receive any reply from you.
    Could you please collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here?

10. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi @Maria@Parallels,
    thank you for following up with my message.

Yes, I know about the remote session and I would like to thank the Parallels Team. Unfortunately, I'm not in the situation of supporting your team in a remote session (due to time reasons).

I will post here again with the reports's ID once I will be able to colleect the information.

Thank you.
    -m

11. Ok, thank you for cooperation.
    Looking forward to your post.

12. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

Did anything happend on this front, I am still having this issue...

13. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

No, it didn't.
    BTW: I'm still having the issue and right now, the only thing I can do, is to 'Suspend' the VMs, close Parallels Desktop (on Mac) and finally close the lid of my Macbook Pro.

14. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

Finally fixed!

15. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

@AnteB,
    do you have an official response about the fix?

If yes, do you know which version should fix this issue?
    I'm not sure (I'm still making some test) but it looks like that even the last version of PD (16.1.0) prevents my Mac from entering in sleep mode ...

Thank you.

16. AnteB

AnteB Bit poster

Ah, sorry, replied to the wrong thread. They fixed the Apple hypervisor which, if used instead of Parallels one, doesn't have the issue where it's waking up the mac. Unfortunately for those who need the Parallels hypervisor it doesn't mean much.

MarcelloR likes this.
  17. Grega3

Grega3 Member

I have the same problem. If I leave the mac unplugged overnight, and happen to "forget" to stop or pause the VM, the battery is usually pretty drained in the morning. I'm using PD16.1.0 now, and it was an issue in PD15 too. My VM will automatically pause if I'm not running Outlook in my Windows VM, but once it's running, the VM will never pause on its own, and then it keeps draining the battery, even though the mac would have gone to sleep otherwise.

18. Stuartv2

Stuartv2 Bit poster

Hi, I have been having the same issues for a while (using a Macbook Pro 16). If I close the lid on my mac without quitting parallels the battery on my Mac will completely drain overnight. I don't have this problem when I first quit parallels. This hasn't been a problem with previous versions. Would be grateful for a fix/solution!

19. Grega3

Grega3 Member

A complete stab in the dark for me with this, but perhaps, a configuration option to force "PAUSE VM WHEN LID CLOSED" would fix this problem for many?

20. KirillM3

KirillM3 Bit poster

any fixes yet? same problem